Second Division roundup: Big bang for Albion Rovers in Lanarkshire derby fireworks

Guy Fawkes day certainly generated fireworks in Coatbridge, as Albion Rovers recorded their first victory over neighbours Airdrie United with a 7-2 success at Cliftonhill.

Paul Martin’s men moved away from the foot of the table with their third win in a row thanks to their sparkling success in a game that saw two penalties, 10 bookings and a red card for the Diamonds’ David Lilley.

Scott Chaplain and Jamie Stevenson exchanged goals before Chaplain struck again and goals from Mick O’Byrne and John Gemmell had Rovers 4-1 up.

Graeme Owens missed a penalty that could have given Airdrie a route back into contention, before he eventually scoring one after Gemmell had netted his side’s fifth goal.

Lilley was dismissed before Chaplain completed his hat-trick, and O’Byrne made it a magnificent seven.

Martin said: “That was for the fans as they stuck by us when we lost 4-0 at Airdrie earlier in the season. We are off the bottom and have no intention of going back there.”

Bewildered Airdrie boss Jimmy Boyle said: “It was an embarrassing and disgraceful performance. We made individual errors all over the place and it actually could have been more.”

Joint-leaders Cowdenbeath came from behind to win 2-1 at near-neighbours East Fife.

The Fife derby came alive after six minutes, when East Fife’s Ryan Wallace shot home from six yards after he was set up to shoot by teammate Robert Ogleby.

Scott Linton headed in a leveller three minutes into the second half, and Jon Robertson fired the Blue Brazil in front when he took advantage of a mistake by goalkeeper Mark Ridgers.

Jordan Morton sealed the win in injury time with a tap-in.

Cowdenbeath manager Colin Cameron said: “Hopefully, the players will take a lot of belief from defeating a side that have won four games in a row.”

Arbroath remain level with Cowdenbeath after their 4-3 win over Dumbarton. Steven Doris’s goal proved decisive as the Red Lichties nearly blew a healthy half-time lead.

Goals from Kieran McAnespie, Stuart Malcolm and Gavin Swankie looked to have Paul Sheerin’s side out of sight after 26 minutes. However, Martin McNiff and Scott Agnew reduced the lead midway through the second half.

Doris hit a fourth after the visiting Kevin Nicoll was dismissed, to ease Arbroath home before McNiff grabbed another.

Stenhousemuir sent Stirling Albion into bottom place with a 4-0 win at Ochilview. Stewart Kean scored a brace, with Ross McMillan and Brown Ferguson also netting.

Forfar and Brechin fought out a goalless draw at Station Park.