Scottish Cup round-up: Vale add to Stirling’s troubles with upset

Andy Jackson in action for Brechin City
Andy Jackson in action for Brechin City
Share this article
Have your say

A LAST-MINUTE goal from Greig Spence earned Raith Rovers a 2-2 draw against Airdrie United at New Broomfield and kept their Scottish Cup ambitions alive.

On a day of drama in the third round, Spence produced his timely intervention to spare team-mate Jason Thomson’s blushes after he had headed into his own net to give Airdrie a 2-1 lead.

Simon Mensing put Raith ahead after just 13 minutes when he drilled the ball home from the edge of the area after good work from Brian Graham.

Gavin Griffin equalised after 28 minutes and the scores remained locked until Thomson’s unfortunate goal. But Spence, who had looked lively throughout, came to his rescue.

Deveronvale were the only non-league team to beat SFL opposition, edging Stirling Albion 1-0 at Forthbank, Craig Cowie scoring the only goal early in the second half.

Bonnyrigg Rose looked on the verge of an upset as they led Brechin City 2-0 at Glebe Park through strikes from Sean Grady and Kris Renton. But Brechin came back through Andy Jackson and then an own goal from David Dunn, with 12 minutes left, as the tie finished 2-2.

Elsewhere, Highland League Inverurie Loco Works and Nairn County both came back from 3-0 deficits to earn replays against Arbroath and Forfar Athletic respectively.

Arbroath looked to be cruising after Steven Doris (penalty), Paul Currie and Darren Gribben scored before the hour but Locos hit back through Clark Bain and a double from Neil Gauld to earn a replay.

It was an identical tale at Station Park as Forfar and Nairn County finished 3-3. Forfar built up a seemingly unassailable lead through Chris Templeman, Gavin Swankie and Stephen Tulloch but Nairn responded through Martin MacDonald, Ross Naismith and then, deep into injury time, Craig MacMillan.

Ten-man Partick Thistle kept their cup double hopes alive after disposing of Highland League outfit Cove Rangers 2-1.

The Firhill team were in front after only 12 minutes of play thanks to a delicious curling effort by Ross Forbes from outside the box. The Jags were reduced to ten men as Steven Craig was red-carded for retaliation before Jackie McNamara’s men doubled their lead as Alan Redford inadvertently deflected a Stephen O’Donnell cross into his own net.

Danny Milne missed a penalty after Conrad Balatoni handled in the box, with Scott Fox parrying the weak effort, but the substitute made amends, finding the top corner with a 35-yard swerving effort in the dying minutes.

Cowdenbeath ran up the biggest scoreline in this year’s competition so far as they tore apart Vale of Leithen 8-1.

Vale made the mistake of stinging the home side early through Scott Moffat.

But shortly afterwards Kerr Dodds was sent off for a wild tackle and Cowdenbeath took full advantage. Greg Stewart helped himself to a hat-trick before half time and the one-way traffic continued after the break.

Lewis Coult added another couple and Mark McKenzie, Mark Ramsay and Jamie Stevenson completed the rout.

A double from Michael Moffat put Ayr United through 2-1 against Clachnacuddin at Somerset Park.

Morton found themselves a goal down away to Albion Rovers when Tony Stevenson netted but Peter Weatherson equalised 13 minutes into the second half to earn a replay 1-1.

Dumbarton put their league troubles behind them to swamp East Stirlingshire 4-1. Andy Graham put Dumbarton ahead early on and, after David Greenhill equalised, Jim Lister headed the home side back in front. Bryan Prunty added the third and Alan Lithgow completed the scoring.

Elgin City added to East Fife’s troubles by easing into the fourth round draw 5-1. Stuart Leslie, Craig Gunn, with his sixth goal of the season, a Daniel Moore penalty, Mark Nicolson and Paul Harkins made it five before David Muir responded.

Lee Currie gave Berwick Rangers a half-time lead at Stenhousemuir but Stewart Kean equalised and they held on for a 1-1 draw in spite of a late red card for Kevin McKinlay.

Stranraer and Queen’s Park also drew 1-1, Craig Malcolm cancelling out David Anderson’s opener for the Glasgow side.

Gary Harris’s 14th-minute goal was enough to put Turriff United through 1-0 at Buckie Thistle.