Scottish Cup round-up: Tiny Turriff hold Morton to earn place in today’s fifth-round draw

Share this article
Have your say

Turriff United will have their name in today’s William Hill Scottish Cup fifth-round draw after their 
maiden voyage in the knock-out 
competition was extended by holding Morton 1-1 at The Haughs.

This was the Aberdeenshire club’s first-ever meeting with a SFL side, coming just over three years since the former Juniors were admitted into the Highland League, and it looked like more history was being created when they took the lead five minutes from half-time.

Player/co-manager Mark Simpson volleyed home from the edge of the box after a corner had only been partially cleared and Morton could have been excused for thinking that it was not going to be their day when Peter Weatherson rattled the bar shortly afterwards.

Just when Turriff were hoping to get things calmed down at half-time, Weatherson levelled when he hooked home a Michael Tidser cross.

“The only downside was that we never got to half-time ahead,” said Simpson. “Morton had chances but every single Turriff player was tremendous and I cannot praise them enough.”

Morton manager Allan Moore said: “Our finishing was disappointing but credit to Turriff. They battled really hard on a pitch that was a great leveller.”

The sides meet again at Cappielow on Tuesday, 11 December.

Dunfermline gained revenge for their recent 5-1 defeat by Partick Thistle by defeating the Jags 1-0 at Firhill in an incident-packed game.

The first major talking point came on 28 minutes when Thistle’s Aaron Muirhead barged into the back of the darting Craig Dargo just outside the box and was given a straight red card. The Pars made the extra man count before the break when Andrew Barrowman, later sent off, headed home.

However, the home side refused to lie down and were rewarded with a penalty when Chris Erskine was tripped by Andy Geggan 18 minutes from time, but Paul Gallacher touched Ross Forbes’ spot-kick on to the post and it ran along the goalline to safety.

Raith Rovers had a fright against Highland League opposition before Brian Graham secured a 2-1 win over Deveronvale at Stark’s Park. Graham headed home the opener ten minutes into the second half, but the Banff side levelled when Scott Fraser netted from the penalty spot after Dougie Hill fouled Kris Duncan with the Raith defender picking up a red card for his troubles. Just when it looked like a trip north was on, Graham stepped up to crack home a 25-yard free kick in the final minute.

Falkirk came out on top in their local clash at Stenhousemuir with Kieran Duffie’s solo goal after just eight minutes proving decisive. Forfar came from behind to defeat Ayr 2-1 at Station Park with Charlie King blasting home the winning goal after David Sinclair had given Ayr a half-time lead and Loons debutant, on-loan Dundee United man Willie Robertson, replying.

The Dumbarton and Hamilton tie was called off with the Sons manager Ian Murray now looking to make his managerial baptism tomorrow night.