Scottish Cup: Raith Rovers through in extra time to meet Deveronvale

Share this article
Have your say

Raith Rovers eventually saw off Airdrie United 4-3 in their William Hill Scottish Cup replay after extra time to secure a home tie against Highland League Deveronvale after an exciting replay at Stark’s Park.

The game, eventually won by a Dougie Hill header, had an explosive start with Diamonds’ winger Joshua Watt sending a fierce shot high into Ross Laidlaw’s net after just two minutes. However, Greig Spence netted from close range to bring his side level just two minutes later.

Raith went ahead for the first time with 20 minutes gone when Allan Walker netted from the penalty spot after Nathan Blockley had brought Simon Mensing down in the box.

The visitors had to change goalkeepers on the half-hour mark when Kenny Arthur went off injured and youngster Andrew Duncan was brought out to replace him, although the change did not faze them greatly and they levelled from the spot in first-half injury time.

Lawrie Ellis was judged to have fouled Gregor Buchanan and Paul Di Giacomo stroked home the award to set up a finely balanced second half.

Raith went ahead for a second time ten minutes into the second half when Grant Anderson cracked a shot past Duncan from 20 yards out. However, Buchanan forced the game into an extra 90 minutes when he headed home a Willie McLaren cross.

Raith’s winner at the third time of asking came nine minutes into the first half of extra time when Hill rose to force home a Walker cross.

Morton will meet Scottish Cup new boys Turriff United after seeing off the challenge of Albion Rovers 3-0 in their replay at Cappielow. Following a 1-1 draw at Cliftonhill, the breakthrough came six minutes into the second half when Martin Hardie headed home a David Graham cross and within 90 seconds it was game over as Michael Tidser shot home after a neat build-up by Fouad Bachirou. Tidser grabbed his second and Morton’s third 17 minutes from time when he shot home from the edge of the box.

Stenhousemuir will host a local derby against Falkirk after winning 5-2 at Berwick Rangers.

Berwick stunned their visitors by taking the lead after 
11 minutes from the penalty spot, Lee Currie converting after Craig Anderson had fouled Stuart Noble. But the Ochilview men levelled six minutes from half-time when Darren Smith nipped in front of static home goalkeeper Youssi Bejaoui to head in a Sean Dickson cross.

A quickfire hat-trick of goals at the start of the second-half eased Stenhousemuir’s passage. First John Gemmell headed 
in another Dickson cross on 
48 minutes then, three minutes later, Gemmell turned provider to set up Stewart Kean to make it 3-0.

It was all over when Brown Ferguson set up Kean to net from close range to make it three goals in the opening 11 minutes of the half, with Darren Lavery pulling a goal back midway through the second half.

Smith scored a late fifth with a low shot before Currie was dismissed shortly afterwards for a foul on the winger.