Scottish Cup: Old Firm double for Arbroath as Kerr books Celtic date

Share this article
Have your say

ARBROATH will complete a Rangers and Celtic 2012 Scottish Cup double-header after the Red Lichties secured a Fourth Round berth at Parkhead by seeing off Highland League Inverurie Locos 3-1 in their replay at Gayfield.

Paul Sheerin’s men lost 4-0 to Ally McCoist’s side back in January and they will now travel to face Neil Lennon’s men in early December after holding on to a three-goal advantage this week.

Brian Kerr opened the scoring with a 25-yard drive on 36 minutes and he was the architect of Arbroath’s second goal a couple of minutes later when he picked out Derek Holmes, who forced the ball over the line.

Steven Doris made the scoreline 3-0 just after the break and Loco’s hopes of repeating their three-goal comeback from the first meeting of the sides last Saturday ended when Neil McLean was dismissed shortly afterwards. Neil Gauld, however, did grab a late consolation strike from distance for the visiting side.

Sheerin said: “When we played Rangers we did not do ourselves justice and I would like us to do that against Celtic. We will try our best to cause an upset but we have no right to think that we can do that. However, people said something similar when Celtic took on Barcelona and look at how that ended.”

Inverurie co-boss Kenny Coull said: “There was not much chance of pulling the tie back again and Arbroath deserve to be playing Celtic.”

Stranraer secured their spot against Dundee United with a 4-0 win at Queen’s Park, with a crazy 17-minute spell in the second half costing the Spiders two players and three goals.

The Blues opened the scoring on 16 minutes when Sean Winter fired home from the edge of the box, with the home side’s hopes of a cup run disappearing from the hour mark.

Giuseppe Capuano was dismissed for picking up his second yellow card and within 90 seconds it was 2-0 when Winter headed home.

Jamie Brough then received a straight red card for a lunging challenge on Winter and to cap a miserable spell for the Hampden side, Chris Aitken headed in a Michael Moore cross. Winter curled home from 20 yards to complete his treble in 77 minutes and ensure a Stair Park tie for the Tannadice men.

Forfar, who blew a three-goal lead to Nairn last weekend, came close to doing it again in the Highlands. They did, however, hold on for a 3-2 success. Ross Campbell hit a double either side of a Gavin Swankie goal to put the Loons in familiar leading territory, but Conor Gethins and John Cameron caused them jitters before the final whistle signalled a visit from Ayr in the next round.

Brechin will meet St Mirren after seeing off the last remaining junior side, Bonnyrigg Rose, at New Dundas Park. Kurtis Byrne, Jonathan Brown and Alan Trouten with a double had the Second Division side set for a visit to Paisley by half-time, with Byrne and Derek Carcary finishing things off in the second half.

Rose, who were two goals up in the first meeting before getting pegged back to 2-2, had Liam McKenna sent off to complete a miserable afternoon.