Scottish Cup: Edinburgh City and Deveronvale the second-round shocks

Share this article
Have your say

EDINBURGH City and Deveronvale will take their place in today’s 11am draw for the Third Round of the William Hill Scottish Cup, which is being carried out at Hamilton Park Racecourse, after creating the biggest shocks in Saturday’s second round.

Edinburgh City defeated Third Division Montrose 3-1 at Link’s Park, and to rub salt into Angus wounds it was a former Arbroath player that did most of the damage.

Striker Robbie Ross, who was at Gayfield for two seasons, opened the scoring after just 11 minutes when he scored from close range, however the Gable Endies levelled before half time when Paul Lunan nodded in.

City were heading through when Ross headed home with 14 minutes left and one time Stenhousemuir player Scott Fusco added a third on 83 minutes.

Manager Gary Jardine said: “This is a massive first for me as I have never beaten a SFL club before.”

Peterhead were also on the wrong end of a shock as they went down 3-2 to north east neighbours Deveronvale. The Banff side were three ahead by half time with Chris Blackhall, Graeme Rodger and Scott Fraser all scoring.

The Blue Toon rallied after Deveronvale’s Michelle Lombardi was dismissed with 18 minutes to go, with Ross Smith and Bryan Deasley scoring but it proved too little too late for the Balmoor men.

Five Third Division sides did make it through with Stirling Albion ending Dalbeattie Star’s interest with a 5-0 win, their goals coming from doubles by Steven Weir and Jordan White with player/ manager Greig McDonald scoring the fifth.

Queen’s Park saw off Irvine Meadow 3-0 with Jamie Longworth, Lawrence Shankland and Tony Quinn scoring and Elgin defeated St Cuthbert’s 3-1 with Wanderers’ Ian Miller’s penalty only a consolation after goals from Brian Cameron, Daniel Moore and Craig Gunn.

Berwick saw off far travelled Wick 1-0 in a game of two penalties with Sam MacKay missing Wick’s spot kick while Lee Currie netted Berwick’s in the last minute.

East Stirling returned from Fraserburgh with a 2-1 success after David Greenhill and Kevin Turner scored with Graham Johnston pulling a goal back. The Broch’s chances of a come-back disappeared when Johnstone and team-mate Ryan Christie were sent off.

Annan will host Buckie in a replay next Saturday after a goalless draw with Clyde living to fight another day after a 3-3 clash with visitors Nairn County.

The Bully Wee were behind three times as Conor Gethins, twice, and Gregg Main gave Nairn the lead, however Kevin Watt and Bryan Gilfillan pulled them level before Stefan McCluskey did likewise with just 4 minutes left.

Cove Rangers were the biggest winners as they crushed amateur outfit Golspie Sutherland 7-0 with Connor Scully opening the scoring after just two minutes with Alan Redford and Ritchie Singer adding further first half goals.

Ronnie Jones scored an own goal before Blair Yule, Jordan Leyden and Eric Watson completed a good afternoon’s work for the Aberdeen club.

It was a much tighter affair when hosts Inverurie Loco Works defeated Huntly 4-3 where the visitors’ day started badly when David Booth missed a penalty and Lukasz Stasiak scored at the wrong end.

Andy Reid’s double had Huntly winning by the interval and Neil Davidson made it 3-1, however Neil Gauld’s brace levelled the scores and Stuart McKay struck the winner 10 minutes from time.

Clachnacuddin defeated Formartine United 4-2 with Alan Pollok netting a hat-trick for his ten man side. He put his side in front midway through the first half with the aid of a deflection, however 
team-mate Mark Kennedy was dismissed two minutes later following an off the ball incident. Formartine equalised through Daniel Park with Scott Graham putting Clach ahead again before 
half-time. Pollok then scored twice in two minutes to make it 4-1 before the hour mark.

Calum Dingwall pulled a goal back before Steve Paterson’s side went down to ten men themselves when Craig McKeown was dismissed.

Bonnyrigg Rose ended Stirling University’s first ever foray into the competition with a 1-0 success in a game where a goalless draw and a replay had looked on the cards. It all changed when Stirling’s Jack Nixon was dismissed 15 minutes from time and substitute Kris Renton scored the winner on 80 minutes.

Turriff United won only their second ever Scottish Cup tie with a 2-1 success over hosts Civil Service Strollers. Cameron Bowden netted in just 3 minutes and David McKenzie made it two before the interval before a Ross Anderson own goal made for a tense finish.

Finally, Selkirk and Vale of Leithen will meet again with Vale snatching a 1-1 draw when Wayne Sproule levelled 11 minutes from time. Euan Pritchard had given Selkirk the lead after 25 minutes with Vale equalising just seconds after Yarrow Park side lost Jamie Gibson to a second yellow card.