Mark Warburton exasperated by link with Fulham job

Mark Warburton last night expressed exasperation at being linked with the managerial vacancy at Fulham and reaffirmed his commitment to his work at Rangers.

Warburton congratulates Jason Holt as the goalscorer is substituted in last night's victory over Dumbarton. Picture: SNS
Warburton congratulates Jason Holt as the goalscorer is substituted in last night's victory over Dumbarton. Picture: SNS

Having previously dismissed speculation linking him with the Fulham job, Warburton was installed as bookmakers’ favourite to become the English Championship club’s next permanent boss amid fresh reports they have identified him as their number one target.

Fulham, who sacked Kit Symons last month, have been turned down by both Steve Clarke of Reading and Gary Rowett of Birmingham City.

Sign up to our Football newsletter

Rangers manager Warburton, who was also linked with QPR last month, appeared irritated when the issue was raised after his team’s 4-0 win over Dumbarton at Ibrox last night.

Rangers' Nathan Oduwa celebrates scoring his side's third goal during the Championship victory over Dumbarton. Picture: Jeff Holmes/PA.

“I can’t answer questions [about that], very respectfully,” he said. “I think I need a bit of respect. I answered the question before. It’s a disrespect to me, Rangers and Fulham, who I’m sure handle things in the right way. I can’t keep saying it.

“I’m manager of Rangers Football Club. I’ve developed a young squad here, I’ve brought staff in. I’m in the middle of a project. I can’t keep answering the same question.”

Rangers opened a three-point lead over Hibs at the top of the Championship as they eventually swatted Dumbarton aside.

But Warburton was unhappy with his team’s display in a goalless first half before strikes by Jason Holt, Martyn Waghorn, Nathan Oduwa and Andy Halliday earned victory.

“We had a few words as a group at half-time,” said Warburton. “We were loose, took too many touches and didn’t move it quickly enough.

“We had the words, came out and, as Jason Holt said after the game, it was night and day. We were excellent and, respectfully, could have got more than four.

“I want the group to demand from themselves and solve things on the pitch. We should have realised after 25 minutes what needed to be done.

“But we saw the quality second half. Don’t forget the age of the team. We were a really young squad tonight and to perform at that level was very good.”

The start to the second half was delayed for almost ten minutes when fans in a section of the Sandy Jardine Stand were moved by stewards into the Broomloan Road Stand because of damage in the roof.