Rescue hero McKeown inspires Blues fightback

Frank McKeown played after one hour of sleep. Picture: SNS
Frank McKeown played after one hour of sleep. Picture: SNS
Share this article
Have your say

Firefighter skippers Stranraer hours after Glasgow helicopter tragedy

Clyde 1 Stranraer 1

The drama of the William Hill Scottish Cup overlapped with the much more substantial drama of events in Glasgow over the weekend when Clyde drew 1-1 with Stranraer.

The Stair Park side had skipper Frank McKeown in their ranks just seven hours after he had ended a lengthy period of working at the Clutha Bar as a firefighter.

The 27-year-old had only one hour of sleep after working in horrific conditions, but he helped the Blues recover from a poor start to earn a replay

Manager Stephen Aitken said: “It is typical of Frank to just get on with things. He could have said that he did not fancy it and I don’t think anyone would have blamed him. He went home exhausted but with a lot of respect from players and supporters.”

Clyde started brightly and were rewarded with a fine goal on 15 minutes when Stuart McColm broke on the left and sent over a hanging cross that was perfect for Keiran McDonald to head home from six yards.

Stranraer levelled just before the break when Martin Grehan robbed Gavin Brown and he released Jamie Longworth who slotted home from a tight angle.

Clyde boss Jim Duffy said: “We scored a great goal during a terrific opening to the game. Stranraer are a good side and we hung in there in the second half. To be disappointed at not winning is a great tribute to our players.”

Alloa 3 Stirling Albion 2

Alloa ignored speculation over manager Paul Hartley and a move to Inverness to see off neighbours Stirling Albion 3-2 at Recreation Park.

The Forthbank men took the lead when Jordan White nodded in after ten minutes. However, they lost Sandy Cunningham to a red card midway through the first half when he flicked out a boot at Michael Doyle.

A penalty by Ryan McCord on 50 minutes after Kieran McAnespie had fouled Jonathan Tiffoney turned things around further and Graeme Holmes nodded Alloa in front just before the hour. Jason Marr scored in the last minute to give Alloa two-goal cushion, but Graham Weir’s fine strike from distance ensured a nervous finish.

Berwick Rangers 1 Dumbarton 3

The Borderers went ahead when Lee Currie rifled in a free kick after just seven minutes, but Bryan Prunty ensured that no panic would set in when he netted a penalty after a Stephen Tulloch handball.

Prunty set up Mitch Megginson to fire the Sons ahead at the break with a well-taken goal and Scott Linton slid a shot home to seal things 11 minutes into the second half.

Kevin Smith came close to a fourth for Ian Murray’s side, but his effort came back off the woodwork.

Ayr 1 Dunfermline 1

League 1 rivals Ayr and Dunfermline will meet again after their draw at Somerset Park where a former Honest Man came close to knocking his old club out.

Andy Geggan was perfectly placed to give his side the lead on 14 minutes when Ross Millen crossed low into the box and Geggan sent a shot looping over David Hutton in the home goal.

Ayr made and missed a number of chances to level, but finally got the goal they deserved when Kevin Kyle headed into the path of Michael Donald and he scored with a low shot.

Brechin City 1 Forfar 1

Brechin City and Forfar will meet again after a feisty 1-1 draw at Glebe Park in which three players were dismissed. Loons skipper Stuart Malcolm was sent off after just nine minutes when he went over the top in a challenge on Derek Carcary, and the hosts’ Ewan Moyes saw red before half-time for a challenge on Chris Templeman.

Alan Trouten flicked home a Carcary pass to give Brechin the lead and it looked like they would go through until an injury time Martyn Fotheringham free kick was deflected in to give Forfar a second chance.

Mark Baxter overdid his celebrations at the equaliser in front of the Brechin bench and was also red carded.

Stenhousemuir 3 Fraserburgh 0

Stenhousemuir had to wait but they eventually saw off the last remaining Highland League side, Fraserburgh. The Broch had kept the Warriors at bay until Ross McNeil curled a shot home from 18 yards on 63 minutes.

Fraserburgh threw everyone forward in a bid to level and McNeil added a second with two minutes left and Errol Douglas slid home the third in injury time.

• Dunfermline will host Ayr United in a replay tomorrow night (7.45pm) with the other three replays all taking place next Tuesday, 10 December.