Ramsdens Cup: Formartine create history

Ryan Ferguson: Levelled for Pars. Picture: SNS
Ryan Ferguson: Levelled for Pars. Picture: SNS
Share this article
Have your say

Formartine United created a small piece of history on Saturday when they defeated East Stirlingshire 2-0 to become the first Highland League side to win a Ramsdens Cup tie.

Deveronvale, Buckie Thistle, Wick Academy and Inverurie Locos have all exited the competition without making an impact since Highland League sides started to be represented two years ago. However, Steve Paterson’s side will be in Wednesday’s second round draw.

Daniel Park fired Formartine in front on 25 minutes and the win looked on when Cammy Keith slotted past Grant Hay four minutes from the break.

Both sides had chances in the second half, but the Pitmedden men triumphed and Paterson said: “It is great to create a bit of history in our first ever game against a senior side. We played well and we can look forward to the second round.”

Shire coach John Coughlin said: “We were a bit light on bodies but we still should have done better.”

Dundee were stretched by hosts Alloa, but summer capture Carlo Monti proved to be the match-winner in a 1-0 success for the Dark Blues.

Monti struck from the penalty spot on the hour mark after he had been fouled by Michael Doyle.

Dunfermline came out on top in their Fife derby at Cowdenbeath with a 3-1 win over their higher division rivals. The Blue Brazil took the lead on 18 minutes when Nat Wedderburn blasted home.

The Pars equalised ten minutes into the second half after Thomas Flynn had pushed a Ross Millen penalty past the post. From the resultant corner, Calum Morris headed home.

Ryan Ferguson put Dunfermline ahead at the second attempt on 63 minutes before Ryan Thomson made it three.

Cowdenbeath’s frustration was evident when Lewis Milne was dismissed after clashing with Craig Dargo.

There was drama at Kirkcaldy where Stirling Albion’s Jordan White netted a late equaliser, only for the Raith Rovers to win 2-1 courtesy of a late clincher.

Kevin Moon shot the hosts ahead 16 minutes before full-time after a poor clearance by Stirling goalkeeper David Crawford, before White converted a penalty on 88 minutes after Stephen Day had been fouled. However, Joe Cardle ensured that there would be no extra time just seconds afterwards with a fine solo goal.

Stenhousemuir triumphed 3-2 on penalties after a roller-coaster 4-4 draw with visitors Arbroath.

Bobby Linn and David Banjo scored before and after Sean Higgins to have the Red Lichties leading 2-1 at half-time. However, John Gemmell ensured parity in the second half. Paul Sheerin’s men took the lead through Steven Milne only for Errol Douglas to bring the Warriors level for a third time.

Stenhousemuir had Nicky Devlin sent off before Gemmell gave them the lead from the spot with two minutes to play, then Milne forced a shoot-out.

Gemmell, goalkeeper Chris Smith and Ross McNeil netted for Stenhousemuir with only Linn and Ross Chisholm being successful for Arbroath.

Forfar Athletic saw off East Fife 2-1 thanks to goals midway through first half by Omar Kader and Stuart Malcolm. Liam Buchanan’s penalty before the break gave East Fife hope, but their chances lessened when Gary Thom was dismissed 16 minutes from time.

In an upset, Peterhead enjoyed a 2-1 success over Brechin City at Balmoor with Jordan Brown grabbing the winner in the second half after David Cox had edged the Blue Toon in front and Ryan Strachan’s own goal had put the visitors level.

Elgin City took full advantage of being at home against Montrose to record a 2-0 win with Craig Gunn and Shane Sutherland scoring.