Ramsdens Cup: Dundee spoil Douglas’ Dens return

Share this article
Have your say

THERE was to be no fairytale comeback for goalkeeper Rab Douglas at Dens Park as Dundee spoiled his Forfar debut by going through to the next round of the Ramsdens Cup with a 3-1 extra time victory.

Douglas kept the Dark Blues out in the first half and Forfar took the lead six minutes after the break when Stuart Malcolm’s header from an Iain Campbell corner crept over the line. Dundee equalised when Douglas was unable to keep out a Kevin McBride shot with 12 minutes left and John Brown’s side went ahead on 98 minutes with substitute Peter MacDonald sending home a free kick from 30 yards.

MacDonald ended a Dundee breakaway with a third goal right at the end.

Falkirk’s Scott Shepherd glanced home a header with ten minutes of extra time left to knock hosts Ayr United out as the Bairns triumphed 2-1.

Ayr’s Craig Malcolm had scored with a fine shot four minutes before the break with the leveller coming on 63 minutes when Rory Loy netted.

Holders Queen of the South won 2-0 at Airdrieonians with Derek Lyle actually finding the net four times. The striker had an overhead effort disallowed in 40 minutes but he then flicked in a Chris Mitchell pass right on half time. Lyle had another goal chalked off at the start of the second half but got over that disappointment to knock in Iain Russell’s cross with only the woodwork denying him a hat-trick late on.

Stenhousemuir defeated Peterhead 3-1 after being given a late reprieve when the Blue Toon missed an injury time penalty.

David Cox shot the home side ahead midway through the first half and John Gemmell restored parity in the second period.

Ross Smith was dismissed when Peterhead were awarded their spot kick but Ryan Strachan’s effort was saved and the ten men finally triumphed thanks to Darren Smith’s goal early in extra time and Ross McNeil’s strike right on 120 minutes.

There was also late drama as Annan defeated Stranraer 3-2 with David Hopkirk shooting home the winner four minutes from time from 25 yards. Hopkirk’s strike came just seconds after Stranraer thought they had recovered from a two-goal deficit to force extra time.

Kenny McKay lobbed home on 19 minutes and the striker then made it 2-0 after 35 minutes, however the Blues pulled a goal back before the break with a Chris Aitken penalty.

Martin Grehan levelled, only for Hopkirk to stroll forward and shoot home.