Irn-Bru Cup round-up: East Fife shock Partick Thistle

East Fife's Scott Agnew levels the scoring. Pic: SNS/Sammy Turner
East Fife's Scott Agnew levels the scoring. Pic: SNS/Sammy Turner
Share this article
Have your say

East Fife stunned Partick Thistle 2-1 at Bayview in the second round of the Irn-Bru Cup.

Partick, who were playing in the Premiership last season, looked to be in control when Andrea Mutombo scored in the first half. But Scott Agnew equalised for the League One side six minutes after the break with a curling, right-foot shot before substitute Rory Currie, on loan from Hearts, won it for East Fife after 73 minutes.

Brian Graham ensured Ross County had the easiest of passages into the third round when he hit four goals in the 5-0 demolition of Raith Rovers.

Graham was unstoppable in the first half after opening the scoring early on, steering home a Josh Mullin cross. He netted his second shortly afterwards with a close-in finish before Jamie Lindsay headed a third. Graham completed his 
hat-trick with a header before adding his fourth before the break.

Ray McKinnon got off to an inauspicious start as Falkirk manager as his team crashed out at home to Connah’s Quay Nomads 1-0.

The only goal came in the opening minute of the second half when Michael Wilde headed home from a free-kick. Deimantas Petravicius and Lewis Kidd both came close for Falkirk but the Welsh side held on.

Queen of the South held off Crusaders 4-3 in a remarkable game at Palmerston Park after leading 4-0 at the break. Stephen Dobbie gave Queens the lead midway through the first half when Lyndon Dykes rounded the goalkeeper and cut the ball back for his strike-partner to net.

Dykes added the second two minutes later after exchanging passes with Gary Harkins and netting with the aid of a deflection. Harkins was next to get on the scoresheet before Dobbie collected his second goal, and 20th of the season, before half-time.

Crusaders pulled two goals back early in the second half through Rory Patterson, his second from the penalty spot, and Paul Heatley pulled another goal back with five minutes left after some slack defending but Queens held on to squeeze through.

Sutton United beat Airdrieonians 1-0 in Lanarkshire. with Tommy Wright scoring the only goal midway through the first half.

Arbroath saw off Annan Athletic 3-0. Bobby Linn gave Arbroath an early lead and Danny Denholm doubled their advantage in the second half before Omar Kader completed the scoring.

Montrose won 1-0 at Dumbarton. Craig Johnston opened the scoring when he headed Montrose in front after 19 minutes. Ross Forbes came close to an equaliser midway through the second half but Montrose held on.

Alan Smith scored two late goals as Edinburgh City edged East Kilbride 3-2. Blair Henderson gave Edinburgh City a half-time lead but East Kilbride hit back in the second half through Ross McNeill and Craig Malcolm before Smith intervened.

Peterhead lost 1-0 at home to Bohemians, with Kevin Devaney scoring the only goal, and St Mirren Under-21s, in spite of having Jamie Walker sent off in the second half, beat Hamilton Academical Under-21s 3-2.