Patched-up Wilson could be back for Celtic in ten weeks

Mark Wilson is hopeful his surgery will prove to be a success. Picture: Phil Wilkinson/TSPL
Mark Wilson is hopeful his surgery will prove to be a success. Picture: Phil Wilkinson/TSPL
0
Have your say

Celtic full-back Mark Wilson revealed his relief at discovering his latest injury setback might keep him out for ten weeks rather than ten months.

The 27-year-old has been plagued by injuries since he signed from Dundee United in January 2006 and last week underwent an arthroscopy procedure on his knee.

Wilson was boosted by the prognosis even though it will be into next year before he pulls on a green-and-white jersey again. “I was going down there really expecting to be out for the rest of the season,” he told Celtic View. “But I got told that it was three months and there’s the possibility, if rehab goes according to plan, I could shave a few weeks off that. It could turn out to be ten weeks which is a massive bonus for me. It could have been ten months but now it’s ten weeks.”

Wilson admits he had to eventually give in to the pain after the two games against Hibernian at the end of last month. “I had the scans weeks ago on my knee and it showed problems that I obviously knew I had because of what I was feeling. I was just trying to manage it as best I could and play as many games as I could,” he said.

“But after the Hibs games, I thought it was best to try to get it fixed. We went down to see the guy on the Wednesday after the Hibs game with a view to having a procedure done. I had a good chat with him and he seemed to think I could get away with a procedure that would only keep me out for three months. I woke up delighted that I was through the operation and he said he did the minimum he could do and tidied up what needed to be done and, hopefully, that would help me.”

Kris Commons, also speaking to the Celtic View, has revealed how he pretended to be injured to quash ongoing rumours of a bust-up with Celtic manager Neil Lennon. The Scotland international turned up at training at the start of the month wearing a neck brace and with his head bandaged, to the amusement of his team-mates and the delight of the photographers.

Ahead of the SPL clash at Inverness on Saturday, the former Nottingham Forest and Derby player said: “With so many people in the dressing room that know Celtic fans, there were certainly a lot of rumours. A lot of people were ringing me up and asking if me and the gaffer had a bit of a bust-up. It’s not the first time that this rumour has come about so I tried to make a joke out of it with the tape round the head and the neck brace, just to let people know it is all rumours. I think when you are not doing as well in the league as you should be doing, then people do start speculating, and I just wanted people to know that the gaffer and I are on good terms.”

Meanwhile, Southampton have started negotiations to sign Celtic defender Jos Hooiveld on a permanent deal, according to the Dutchman’s representative. The 28-year-old defender, who toiled to establish himself at Parkhead, is on a six-month loan at the St Mary’s Stadium, where he has already become an integral part of Nigel Atkins’ high-flying Saints side, playing 12 times and scoring three goals. The player’s agent, Alex Kroes, is quoted as saying: “Southampton and Celtic are talking about a permanent move for Jos.”