Peterhead snatch late draw from Ayr

Ayr lost a late goal to Peterhead as the sides drew 1-1 at Somerset Park, but the home team continue to occupy top spot in League 1.

Nicky Devlin opened the scoring. Picture: Michael Gillen

Nicky Devlin, Ayr’s skipper, got in front of his marker to head in the opening goal from a Brian Gilmour corner ten minutes into the second half. Ayr pushed for a second, but Peterhead got on level terms when Jamie Redman nodded home with just three minutes left.

Somerset Park boss Ian McCall said: “It was a strange first half as everything was flat on and off the park. We were dominant after we scored but could not add the second and Peterhead were worthy of their point.”

Sign up to our Football newsletter

Sign up to our Football newsletter

As for not extending their lead, ­McCall said: “I was hoping that we would see things out.

“Whilst we are disappointed, we are still in a much improved position compared to last season.”

“It would have been great to win and not because other teams have dropped points, as I am only concentrating on Ayr.”

Peterhead manager Jim McInally said: “A draw was fair and it was good to bounce back after a sore result against Brechin. Ayr are a side that I respect a lot so it is not the worst result for us. “

Second-placed Dunfermline also dropped points as they drew 1-1 with Airdrie at East End Park and they had to come from behind to do so. George Hunter was released by David Cox with 18 minutes gone and he shot home from a tight angle, with the Diamonds keeping the lead until well into the ­second half.

The Pars had thrown on Mickael ­Antoine-Curier and then Michael ­Moffat in a bid to get level and the latter restored parity 16 minutes from time when he found the corner of the net with a header from an Andy Geggan cross.

Forfar lost for the second week running as visitors Stranraer picked up a 2-1 success at Station Park. Bryan Hodge and Gavin Swankie hit the woodwork for Forfar, before Mark McGuigan held off the challenge of Michael Travis to shoot his side in front with 20 minutes played.

Chris Aitken doubled the lead 11 minutes into the second half from the penalty spot after McGuigan had been fouled by Thomas O’Brien.

Travis pulled a goal back with 14 minutes left, but Dick Campbell’s men could not force an equaliser.

Albion Rovers’ fine start to life in League 1 continued as they defeated Stenhousemuir 2-0 at Cliftonhill. Andrew Barrowman headed the Coatbridge side in front ten minutes from the break, and the striker added a second with another header ten minutes after the restart. The visitors’ Colin McMenamin was dismissed late on after a clash with Ross Dunlop.

Brechin City player-manager Darren Dods ended his search for a win last weekend and he did not have to wait long for a second success as the Glebe Park hosts saw off Cowdenbeath 2-0.

David Bates prodded in from close range four minutes after the break and Jonathan Tiffoney quickly added a second. Cowdenbeath’s day went from bad to worse when Robbie Buchanan had a penalty saved by Graeme Smith and Dean Brett was red-carded.