Partick Thistle 3-1 Cowdenbeath: Extra time drama

Aaron Muirhead wheels away to celebrate after giving Partick a 3-1 lead. Picture: SNS
Aaron Muirhead wheels away to celebrate after giving Partick a 3-1 lead. Picture: SNS
Share this article
Have your say

STEVIE Lawless came to the rescue as Thistle struggled to make the last 16 of the League Cup for the first time in five years.

Scorers: Partick - Elliot 92, Lawless 102, Muirhead 114 pen; Cowdenbeath - Hemmings 93

Ref: J McKendrick Att: 1,544

On a woefully flat night at Firhill all the action came in extra time and livewire Lawless made the difference scoring a great goal and then winning a penalty which made the tie safe.

Thistle had finally edged ahead two minutes into extra time when Christie Elliott beat Grant Adam – who had been outstanding all night – with a well-placed left foot shot from 12 yards. However, Cowdenbeath remarkably levelled inside a minute when former Rangers striker Kane Hemmings took advantage of some poor defending to fire home from close range.

Lawless, who had come off the bench in 61 minutes, then worked his magic with with a sweet left foot finish in 103 minutes which produced more relief than joy for the 1,544 watching,

And he made certain there was no way back for the Fifers when his quick footwork provoked a clumsy challenge from Jordan Morton in 113 minutes to win a penalty. Aaron Muirhead made no mistake from the spot and the Jags were on their way to the third round,

The Maryhill men had looked a bit short on ideas in the first half and Cowdenbeath had scarcely been out of their own half after the break and the Firhill fans could not believe their eyes when the Fifers won a penalty in 53 minutes when Muirhead clearly tripped Greg Stewart. Jamie Stevenson was entrusted with the responsibility but his .spot kick was saved by Scott Fox.

Incredibly, after a goalless 90 minutes there were two goals in 30 seconds in extra time.

Thistle substitute Christie Elliott angled a left foot shot past Adam in 92 minutes but Cowdenbeath hit back immediately when Kane Hemmings slammed a right foot past Fox.

Fox then made a vital save from Hemmings and Cowdenbeath centre back John Armstrong missed a glorious chance with a header as the Fifers threatened an upset. However, Lawless came to Thistle’s rescue with a cool left foot finish two minutes before half-time in extra time and the won the spot kick which Muirhead finished with some aplomb.

Partick: Fox, O’Donnell, Muirhead, Piccolo,Taylor-Sinclair, Kerr (Dolan 71), Bannigan, Forbes, Craigen (Lawless 61), Baird, Higginbotham. Subs not used: Gallacher, Osbourne.

Cowdenbeath: Adam, Brett, Armstrong, O’Brien, Adamson, Russell (Hemmings 72 ), Milne, Wedderburn, McKenzie (Morton 78), Stevenson, Stewart (Miller 95). Subs not used: Flynn, Cowan