Parente helps Star 13s beat Craigroyston

Redhall Star 13s
Redhall Star 13s
Share this article
Have your say

Redhall Star 13s erased the disappointment of last month’s AC Taxis Cup final defeat by beating Craigroyston BC 2-1 in the Polar Foods Cup final at Saughton.

Driving rain and hail made conditions difficult for both sets of players but, to their credit, they provided a match full of entertainment. Redhall took the lead within ten minutes when Lorenzo Parente, who has been impressive all season, placed the ball high past goalkeeper Jamie Ross.

Craigroyston’s Ryan Shanley should have equalised after rounding Redhall goalkeeper Ryan Green, but a last-ditch clearance found Parente, who set off on a lung-bursting run before smashing his shot beyond Ross to make it 2-0. Craigroyston had numerous chances in the second half, but only had Shanley’s strike from close range to show for their efforts.

In Friday night’s second encounter at Saughton Enclosure, Leith Athletic 13s notched a solitary goal to see off Currie Star 1-0 in the final of the Belmont Vauxhall Cup.

Leith youngster Cameron Fellenger’s superb first-half strike was enough to separate the sides in a clash that was also affected by the howling wind and rain.

Both goalkeepers, Leith’s Lewis Reid and Currie’s Sam Colley, were simply outstanding in the second half, producing a string of impressive stops to somehow keep the scoreline to just one.

Currie’s Russell Cairns thought he had equalised late on, but his curling free-kick grazed the top of the Leith crossbar as the black and whites held on for cup glory.

Easthouses leave it late

Easthouses 14s produced late drama at Bonnyrigg’s New Dundas Park to stun North Berwick 2-1 in the final of the Paladin Cup. North Berwick were left to rue a host of missed opportunities, particularly in the first half, as Easthouses fought back to equalise before finding a winner in extra-time.

Johnny Harding was on hand to give North Berwick the lead after 25 minutes despite the best efforts of Easthouses goalkeeper Jack McMillan. Harding and his team-mates continued to attack at will but could not find a way past McMillan for a crucial second goal.

The East Lothian outfit were then made to pay as Easthouses snatched an equaliser in the dying minutes. North Berwick No.1, Jamie Wallace, sprinted from his line with every intention of clearing the ball to safety, but the teenager completely missed his effort, leaving Euan Chalmers with the simplest of tasks in rolling the ball into the empty net.

Heartache followed in extra-time as Danny Peden’s volley appeared to hit off a North Berwick defender on its way into the net as Easthouses secured victory.

Garvey the hero for Villa

Longniddry Villa 17s showed little nerves on the big occasion as they thrashed Edinburgh South 7-1 in the Michael Moran Cup at New Dundas Park in Bonnyrigg.

Daniel Garvey, who hit five, opened his side’s account only five minutes in when his pace took him beyond his opponent before rifling a shot into the corner of the net.

Three minutes later, it was 2-0 and once again it came from the boot of Garvey after good build-up play from Adam Forsyth.

Forsyth then underlined his technical ability as he curled an exquisite strike into the top left corner from a free-kick 20 yards out to make it three.

Garvey completed his hat-trick 
with a sensational overhead kick attempt that thundered into the South net for number four before the same player made it five and then six just before the interval.

Shaun Brown added his name to the scoresheet with a seventh before Scott Tranter grabbed a consolation for a well-beaten Edinburgh South side.