Morton victory sets them up for a Firhill thriller

Share this article
Have your say

It will be ‘Firhill for Thrills’ on Wednesday as leaders Partick Thistle host a Morton side that can overtake them with a win following the Greenock side’s 5-2 success over Airdrie United on Saturday.

The Cappielow men are now just 2 points behind the Jags having played a game more, however they will head to Glasgow with a spring in their step thanks a victory that was earned on the back of a hat-trick from Peter MacDonald. The striker opened the scoring in five minutes when he turned home a Colin McMenamin cross, and he added his and Morton’s second midway through the first half with a low drive from 12 yards. The hat-trick was completed on the hour mark with a thumping drive from 25 yards and it was 4-0 with 21 minutes left when McMenamin scored from the penalty spot after Grant Evans fouled Mark McLaughlin.

Airdrie, who are almost through the relegation trapdoor, showed some fighting spirit when Sean Lynch thumped in from close range and Alan Cook prodded home a Willie McLaren cross in to make it 4-2.

However Evans was dismissed for denying Archie Campbell a shooting opportunity after 80 minutes and McMenamin sent in a header that Marc Warren helped into his own goal to restore Morton’s three goal advantage before the end.

Morton manager Allan Moore said: “We did what we had to do to give ourselves a chance to go top of the table on Wednesday. Whatever happens in that game, Thistle are still in the driving seat as they have a game in hand.”

Falkirk warmed up for next Saturday’s Scottish Cup semi-final with Hibs by beating Cowdenbeath 4-0 with all the goals coming in the last 21 minutes. While new manager Gary Holt watched on, the Bairns made it four wins in a row under the control of their technical director Alex Smith, with the opening goal coming thanks to Darren Dod’s back-post volley.

The second came nine minutes later when debutant Liam Rowan’s low cross was pushed towards goal by Sean Higgins and Craig Sibbald netted.

Higgins then converted a penalty after Fulton had been fouled by Jamie Stevenson with three minutes to go and slotted home the fourth at the death.

Livingston won 3-0 at Dumbarton to end a three-game spell without a success under new manager Richie Burke.

Teenager Kyle Lander, who was making his first start, gave the Lions the lead with half an hour gone, knocking home a cut-back from Burton O’Brien. Paul Watson headed in a corner just after half-time to make it two and Danny Mullen slid the ball home to seal their success 15 minutes from time