Morton 6 - 0 Turriff United: Weatherson grabs hat-trick in six-goal Morton win

Michael Tidser makes it 2-0 from the penalty spot before half-time. Picture: SNS
Michael Tidser makes it 2-0 from the penalty spot before half-time. Picture: SNS
Share this article
Have your say

MORTON last night cruised into the fifth round of the William Hill Scottish Cup – where they will face Dundee at Dens Park – after finally getting the better of Highland League strugglers Turriff United.


Morton - Weatherson (37, 83, 84), Tidser (44 pen., 63), Macdonald (77)

After a 1-1 draw at Turriff and then numerous postponements, Morton were eager to get off the mark quickly at Cappielow. The First Division title challengers scorned an opportunity in ten minutes when Archie Campbell was sent sprawling at the edge of the area by Chris Herd and Peter Weatherson curled the ball over.

Weatherson had an even better chance in 17 minutes when he headed wide at the far post after a superb cross from the left by Archie Campbell. One minute later the same combination was involved again, this time Weatherson providing the knock-down, but Campbell scooped the ball over the bar from eight yards.

In 24 minutes Turriff goalkeeper Steven Coutts missed a David O’Brien cross from the left, but David Graham was off target with his 15-yard effort.

Morton got the breakthrough they deserved in 37 minutes when Michael Tidser drilled the ball forward for Fouad Bachirou to play a delightful ball into the path of Weatherson who thundered the ball high into the net from 12-yards. A minute later they almost scored a second but Coutts produced a fabulous save from Graham’s angled drive.

Morton’s second did arrive a minute from the break from the penalty spot after Scott Taggart played the ball through to Tidser, who was crudely sent tumbling by Turriff captain Ross Anderson. Tidser got to his feet and fired a left-foot shot past Coutts.

Ten minutes after the restart Campbell and Weatherson combined to set up Graham, bursting in from the right, but Coutts got down to make a superb block.

Morton grabbed a third in 63 minutes when Tidser lashed the ball low into the net from some 20 yards.

Turriff’s first real effort on goal came in 68 minutes when Lewis Davidson cracked in a fierce 20-yard drive, but goalkeeper Derek Gaston turned the ball round at full stretch.

Morton’s fourth goal arrived 13 minutes from time when substitute Peter Macdonald headed home from close range. Weatherson got his second of the night and Morton’s fifth in 83 minutes when he rounded Coutts and slipped the ball into the empty net. He completed his hat-trick a minute later, firing home from 12 yards.

Morton: Gaston, Taggart, Dyer, Bachirou (Wilkie 74), Reid, McLaughlin, Graham (Wallace 69), Tidser, Weatherson, Campbell (Macdonald 60), O’Brien. Subs not used: O’Ware, Hutton.

Turriff United: Coutts, G Davidson (Chalmers 63), Herd, Anderson, Simpson, L. Davidson, Young, Ligertwood (Fraser 76), Harris (Gauld 46), Henderson, Gray. Subs not used: Campbell, Gatt.