League Two wrap: Weatherson double keeps Annan clear

Scott Ferguson. Picture: SNS
Scott Ferguson. Picture: SNS
Share this article
Have your say

Annan Athletic remain two points clear with a game in hand after a 3-1 victory over East Stirling at Galabank.

Matthew Flynn opened the scoring for the league leaders after only six minutes, heading home after Shire failed to clear a Stuart McColm cross. Annan talisman Peter Weatherson then put the contest beyond doubt with an impressive double, the second a majestic free-kick. Shire pulled one back through Ally Roy in the closing stages and stay eighth, a point off bottom spot.

Second-placed Queen’s Park kept the pressure on the leaders with a hard-fought 1-0 win over joint-bottom Arbroath, Chris Duggan striking what proved to be the winner in the 11th minute, tucking home Joe Bradley’s through ball.

Arbroath were unfortunate not to salvage a point as Bobby Linn was denied by a Willie Muir save in the 51st minute and a goal-line clearance at the death.

Scott Ferguson’s double steered third-placed Clyde to a 2-0 victory over East Fife, whose promotion hopes are beginning to falter. Scott Linton set up Ferguson, pictured, for a well-worked opener in the 34th minute after which East Fife’s Nathan Austin spurned two excellent second-half opportunities. Against the run of play, Ferguson struck a spectacular second with six minutes remaining.

Elgin City made it victories all round for the top four as they emerged with a 3-2 win at bottom side Berwick Rangers.Michael McKenna pounced to put Berwick ahead after 16 minutes but Elgin were soon level through Darryl McHardy’s header.

Dylan Easton then weaved his way through the Berwick defence to assist Brian Cameron for Elgin’s second and the relentless Craig Gunn notched a third in the 78th minute, with Easton again the creator.

Darren Lavery pulled one back for Berwick, who slipped to a fifth straight defeat.

Darren Smith netted a hat-trick for Stirling Albion, who ran out 3-1 winners at off-colour Montrose. Mark Lamont set up Smith’s 12th- minute opener, while Sean Dickson helped Smith to a pair of second-half strikes to see off Montrose for whom Adrian Mallagaray netted a consolation.