League Two roundup: Berwick boss Cameron sacked

Colin Cameron. Picture: Kimberley Powell
Colin Cameron. Picture: Kimberley Powell
Have your say

Berwick Rangers have sacked Colin Cameron after yesterday’s 4-1 loss to Montrose at Links Park.

The Shielfield club said last night: “After the defeat at Montrose today we have parted company with player manager Colin Cameron. A further statement will follow after the board meeting on Tuesday night.”

Cameron, 43, pictured, has been in charge at the Borderers since January 2014, however he has been unable to reproduce the success he enjoyed as manager of Cowdenbeath where he led them to a Second Division title in 2012.

The 28-times capped Scotland midfielder led Berwick to the quarter finals of the Scottish Cup last season where they lost to Hibs, however he was unable to mount a promotion push. This season Berwick sit seventh in League 2 and went out of the Scottish Cup last weekend.

Yesterday, Gary Fraser opened the scoring for the hosts from the penalty spot after a Steven Notman foul, before Ross Campbell doubled their lead on half-time. Finn Graham’s 57th-minute free-kick gave Berwick a glimmer of hope only for Graham Webster to restore Montrose’s two-goal cushion within three minutes before Fraser added a fourth in the closing stages.

League leaders Annan Athletic moved five points clear with a spirited 1-0 victory at East Fife despite playing more than half of the game with ten men. Peter Weatherson headed what proved to be the winner in the 15th minute from a Rabin Omar cross.

But shortly before half-time, having been involved in an off-the-ball altercation, Weatherson was shown a straight red card.

East Fife, and in particular striker Nathan Austin, bombarded Annan’s goal as they chased a leveller but Annan goalkeeper Jordan Hart and his defence stood firm and the Fifers slipped to second as a result.

Elgin City climbed to fourth with a deserved 2-0 win over Arbroath at Borough Briggs. Craig Gunn fired Elgin into a sixth-minute lead and should have added to his tally on several occasions, striking the woodwork twice. Brian Cameron converted a Gunn cross in the 82nd minute to seal the points.

Queen’s Park came from behind to salvage a 1-1 draw with Clyde at Hampden while Stirling Albion endured a disappointing 0-0 draw with bottom club East Stirling at Forthbank where Stirling’s Ross Smith was sent off in the last minute.