League Two round-up: Edinburgh City and Peterhead share spoils

Edinburgh City maintained their four-point lead at the summit of League Two after securing a 0-0 draw at nearest challengers Peterhead in a forgettable top-of-the-table clash at Balmoor.

Edinburgh City's Calum Antell kept a clean sheet.

The only opportunity of note came in the 23rd minute when City’s Jack Breen found himself through on goal only to fire off target.

Third-placed Clyde failed to capitalise on the top two drawing as they were held to a 1-1 draw by fourth-placed Annan Athletic at Galabank.

Sign up to our Football newsletter

Sign up to our Football newsletter

After some neat footwork, Kristoffer Syversten got his first goal for Clyde in the 25th minute. Blair Currie then produced a stunning double save to preserve the visitors’ advantage until half-time, after which Annan eventually salvaged a point courtesy of Kyle Bradley’s deflected 87th minute strike.

Fifth-placed Stirling Albion moved to within four points of the play-offs after a deserved 2-1 victory against second-bottom Berwick Rangers at Shielfield Park.

After Dom Docherty’s cross was adjudged to have struck a Berwick arm, Dylan Mackin swept home the resulting penalty to give Stirling a 43rd minute breakthrough and added a merited second through Darren Smith’s header. Lewis Barr’s long-range consolation gave Berwick a modicum of cheer with three minutes remaining.

The Borderers stay seven points above the relegation play-off berth as long-term residents of bottom spot, Albion Rovers, suffered a 3-0 loss at home to sixth-placed Elgin City, for whom defender Darryl McHardy, pictured, netted a hat-trick. McHardy opened the scoring with a 30th minute header, after which a free-kick early in the second half and a late penalty completed an unlikely treble for the Moray side’s stalwart.

At Hampden, Scott McLean’s last-minute penalty kick rescued a 1-1 draw for eighth-placed Queen’s Park against seventh-placed Cowdenbeath, who had taken a 79th minute lead when Matthew Henvey slid the ball under home goalkeeper Jordan Hart.