League One: Jeffries praises fighting Dunfermline

Share this article
Have your say

DUNFERMLINE came from behind for a second week running to win and moved into second place thanks to their 3-1 success over Stranraer.

Last weekend Jim Jefferies’ men had to fight back from 3-0 and 4-2 down to defeat Stenhousemuir, and this time out they just made things slightly difficult for themselves by going one goal down to the conquerors of Ross County in the Scottish League Cup.

The goal came midway through the first half when Luke Johnston barged Martin Grehan over in the box and while goalkeeper Ryan Scully did well to save Chris Aitken’s penalty, Grehan netted the loose ball.

Dunfermline showed their powers of recovery quickly and within a minute Andy Geggan touched home a cross from the right wing.

The game headed Dunfermline’s way with eight minutes left when Johnston poked the ball home.

Smith popped up with the clinching goal four minutes later when he lashed home after good work by Ryan Thomson.

Jefferies said: “At one time in the second half we just had relentless pressure on them. We are a full-time side and they are a part-time one, who had a game in midweek, so I always thought that would make a difference. In the last ten minutes it did and we got the points.”

Stenhousemuir bounced back from last weekend’s defeat by beating Forfar 2-1 at Station Park. Sean Higgins and Darren Smith scored within a minute of each other in the first half. The Loons netted with Iain Campbell’s penalty close to the hour.

Ayr held on with only nine men for over half an hour in their 2-2 draw with Airdrie at Somerset Park. The Diamonds took the lead early through Paddy Boyle’s goal but Michael Moffat’s two goals in five minutes had Ayr leading with 17 minutes played. Nathan Blockley levelled things up before half-time with Ayr seeing the game out despite Gordon Pope and Alan Forrest being dismissed at the start of the second half.

On-loan Motherwell striker Lee Erwin made an instant impact at Gayfield by grabbing both Arbroath goals as they defeated Brechin 2-1, with Bobby Barr pulling a goal back for the visitors.