League One: Dunfermline grab East Fife derby win

Share this article
Have your say

DUNFERMLINE Athletic started life in League One with a gritty 1-0 success over East Fife in the first league game between the sides since March 1987.

That meeting ended in a 1-1 draw and Saturday’s win is the first away success for the Pars in this Fife Derby since they left the old Bayview ground with a 1-0 win back in September 1973.

The near-2,000 crowd at New Bayview barely had time to settle down before the game’s decisive moment took place when Pat Clarke upended Ryan Wallace in the box with just over a minute played.

Former East Fifer Wallace dusted himself down and slotted home from the penalty spot for the game’s only goal. Both sides had chances, however Wallace wasted a second-half opportunity with Liam Buchanan, Clarke and Gary Thom all coming close to an equaliser late on.

Dunfermline manager Jim Jefferies said: “It was a great victory for commitment and hard work, however it was not quite the passing display I had been hoping for. We never got the goals we should have to kill the game off. At 1-0 all you need is a bad deflection and your lead is gone but overall I have to commend the players for getting the three points.”

East Fife assistant manager Kevin Drinkell said: “Giving away a penalty in only 90 seconds rocked us back. We got into things in the second half but could not force a goal.”

Ayr United got their season off to a fine start with a 3-0 success over Arbroath at Gayfield. Michael Moffat scored twice in four first-half minutes to get the Honest Men up and running with exciting youngster Alan Forrest grabbing the third just after the hour mark.

Stenhousemuir joined Rangers, Dunfermline and the Somerset Park men on three points after seeing off Stranraer 1-0. John Gemmell’s first-half strike from 20 yards was the match-winner with Chris Smith’s fingertip save from Stranraer substitute Andy Stirling’s late drive just as important.

Forfar and Airdrie drew 3-3 at Station Park in a game where both sides held the lead. Gavin Malin slotted the Loons ahead only for Jim Lister to level before the break when he nodded in his first goal for the club.

Willie McLaren edged the Diamonds ahead just after half-time before a double from substitute Paul McManus had Forfar winning again with Lewis Coult taking advantage of hesitancy in the home defence to tie the scores.