Johnston hat-trick proves crucial in David Innes Cup

Tranent Colts won the SERYFA under-14 David Innes Cup after a ten-goal thriller against Musselburgh Windsor Colts at New Dundas Park.

With goals flying in at both ends, Tranent were able to triumph against their divisional rivals 6-4.

A hat-trick for Stewart Johnston was the highlight for Tranent, who had achieved a mid-table position in Division 2.

Sign up to our Football newsletter

Sign up to our Football newsletter

Musselburgh Windsor finished their season with promotion to Division 1 but were unable to defend against a team on the rampage.

A mad start to the match led to both teams scoring in the opening four minutes. With two minutes played, Windsor’s Liam Glen shot past Tranent goalkeeper Aaron King after Aaran Currie’s through ball.

Johnston grabbed his first goal two minutes later, shooting into the bottom right corner of the goal after dribbling through the Windsor defence.

Windsor went in front again in the 19th minute. Jack Landsborough drove the ball into the left side of the penalty area and stroked the ball past King from close range.

Two goals in two minutes gave Tranent the lead going into half-time. With 33 minutes played, Johnston scored from 20 yards and, with their next attack, Lee Thomson netted from close range after Macaulay Woodcock’s cutback to make the score 3-2.

Tranent looked to have taken a comfortable lead at the start of the second half. Jack Gilchrist found himself one-on-one with Windsor keeper Lewis Quinn, who got a strong touch to the shot but could not stop the ball trickling into the net.

Johnston completed his hat-trick in the 45th minute, directing the ball into the bottom right corner from 16 yards to make the score 5-2.

Windsor pulled a goal back five minutes later, however, when Glen volleyed the ball into the roof of the net from inside the penalty area. With 13 minutes remaining, Tranent appeared to have put the game beyond doubt. Michael Taylor’s shot from the left side of the area went into the right side of the goal.

Musselburgh never gave up however, and scored their fourth goal in the 75th minute. Currie dribbled the ball round King and rolled it into the centre of the net. Despite Windsor’s best attempts to close the gap, Tranent were able to hold on for the last eight minutes to lift the trophy. In the final minute, Bradley Dodds hit the crossbar from the left by-line.

Musselburgh Windsor coach Scott Craig rued the team’s defensive performance. He said: “Our defence were not at the races. Their player Stewart Johnston ran the show and we should have made more tackles. We’re able to score goals for fun but we need to improve our defending. At 2-1 up we had a chance and hit the bar. Maybe if that goes in it is a different story.

“We finished second in the league and have been promoted so we are pleased with that.”

Tranent Colts secretary Neil Brett was delighted to win the trophy, saying: “We started brightly but conceded two goals. We made it difficult for ourselves but took control of the game after that. It looked like we were going to win comfortably but Musselburgh never gave up. They got a few goals back and it was quite nervy at the end.”

Tranent Colts: Aaron King, Connor Black, Ewan Porteous, Stewart Johnston, Macaulay Woodcock, Jack Gilchrist, Michael Taylor, Connor Martin, Paul Quinn, Bradley Dodds, Lee Thomson, Connor Lee, Mark Flynn.

Musselburgh Windsor Colts: Lewis Quinn, Callum Hamilton, Finlay McNeil, Ryan Letson, Aaran Currie, Liam Glen, Cameron Wilson, James Livingstone, James Strachan, Jack Landsborough, Adrian Shala, Dylan Henry, Blair Millar, Ewan Fraser, Darren Drever, Sam Lawrie.