Ian McCall frustrated despite seeing Ayr stretch unbeaten run

Jason Scotland. Picture: SNS
Jason Scotland. Picture: SNS
Have your say

Leaders Ayr United stretched their unbeaten run to 12 games, but manager Ian McCall felt frustrated after their 1-1 draw at bottom club Brechin City

Ayr led three minutes from the interval when Jamie Adams scooped the ball home from close range.

Brechin levelled when on-loan Alloa striker Isaac Layne sent an 18-yard shot past Greg Fleming after a corner had been diverted into his path.

McCall said: “We may still be at the top but I would rather have still been there with a win behind us.

“We had a great chance not long after we scored but it was missed and then their equaliser came from a corner that was never a corner.

“With Dunfermline only drawing it is a missed opportunity to open up a more commanding lead.”

Brechin player/manager Darren Dods said: “I am really pleased with how the boys came back from a goal down. We showed a lot of spirit.”

Dunfermline were held to a goalless draw at East End Park by Peterhead. The Blue Toon had the best opening of the first half when Leighton McIntosh broke free on the left, but his shot came back off a post.

In the second half Dunfermline pushed the hardest for a winner but Peterhead goalkeeper Graeme Smith ensured that the scoresheet would stay blank when he pushed away a late netbound Ryan Wallace free-kick.

Airdrie were romping to victory at Forfar with three goals in the first 29 minutes, but the Loons rallied and the Diamonds eventually edged a 3-2 victory.

Alan Lithgow touched home a David Cox cross to open the scoring after 14 minutes and Cox added the second midway through the half. When Mark Fitzpatrick rose to head home a corner, the game looked cut and dried. However, on-loan Hibs youngster Scott Martin netted from close range just before the break.

Martin hit his second from 20 yards just seven minutes into the second half while Danny Denholm and Martyn Fotheringham spurned the best chances of grabbing a point.

Stenhousemuir’s second win in a row has pushed them into the play-off race, the Warriors enjoying a 2-1 success at 

Mark Gilhaney converted a cross from Jason Scotland (pictured) to open the scoring on 18 minutes. Scotland then grabbed his his third goal in two games to increase the advantage, before Ryan Thomson’s injury-time consolation.

The Albion Rovers and Cowdenbeath game was called off as Cliftonhill was waterlogged, with the sides looking to get back together tomorrow night.