The Rumour Mill: Monday’s football transfer news and gossip

CARLOS Bocanegra could return to USA; Sasa Papac considering retirement - or a move to La Liga; Celtic striker Mo Bangura insists Celtic fans will see the best of him next season; Rangers fans’ group want their club sent to the Third Division; plus all the latest football news and gossip

Carlos Bocanegra may leave Rangers for MLS

Carlos Bocanegra may have played his last game for Rangers as the defender refused to rule out a move across the Atlantic. The USA captain has admitted that he would “100 per cent consider playing in the MLS again”. MLS club New England Revolution have already declared an interest in the former Fulham player. (Daily Record)

Sign up to our Football newsletter

Sign up to our Football newsletter

Sasa Papac may retire from football in wake of newco woes

Ex-Rangers defender Sasa Papac may quit football for good after his agent admitted that the debacle surrounding Rangers had been a drain on the defender. The 32-year-old Bosnian, who left at the end of his contract earlier this summer after six years at Ibrox, has had offers to carry on playing from Russian and Turkish clubs, but is considering hanging up his boots. His agent Petar Bazic said: “Sasa has had a lot to deal with at Rangers and that can affect a player and their motivation.” However, reports in the Daily Mail and the Sun suggest that Papac is actually in talks with Spanish club Osasuna over a move to La Liga.

Mo Bangura vows to prove his worth

Celtic striker Mo Bangura has pledged to improve upon an injury-hit first season at Parkhead. The Sierra Leone striker failed to find the target in 15 appearances for Celtic, and was out of action for almost half of the season due to a knee injury. The forward, who was signed from AIK Stockholm last summer, said: “I feel the Celtic fans have still to see the best of me - they will hopefully see a lot more this year.” (The Sun)

Rangers newco latest

• A Rangers fans’ group has called for the club to begin next season in the Third Division. The Rangers Supporters’ Trust have urged the SFL not to yield to alleged pressure from the SPL and SFA to allow the Ibrox club into the First Division. An RST statement said: “Rangers fans have made it very clear we wish the club to resume in Division Three. This has been communicated to both the board and the manager of our club and they are entirely supportive.” (Daily Record)

• Hibernian fans have accused the SPL and SFA of bullying the SFL into allowing Rangers into the First Division. Ahead of an SFL vote on Friday that will determine where Rangers will play next season, Hibs accused the two bodies of trying to pressurise the SFL in order to safeguard lucrative TV contracts. Annan chairman Henry McLelland has also voiced his backing for Hibs’ stance. (Daily Record)

• Raith Rovers chairman Turnbull Hutton has criticised suggestions that the SFL may ignore member clubs and decide to vote Rangers into the First Division. A letter had been sent by the SFL to its 30 member clubs suggesting that clubs may be bypassed by the board in deciding where Rangers would play next season. Hutton said: “This has been put together by some smart, expensive team of lawyers to lead the unwilling into some kind of bear trap. There’s misinformation about what would happen if Rangers go to the Third Division and scaremongering.” (Daily Mail)

In brief

• Christian Dailly has retired from football aged 38. The former Rangers and Derby County player spent last season at Southend, managed by Paul Sturrock. Dailly said of the decision: “I’m doing a sports science degree and am also involved in athletics coaching. I’ve been fortunate enough to have had a great career but feel this is the correct decision.”

• Hearts have confirmed the exits of winger Suso and striker Craig Beattie. Both players rejected new deals offered by the Tynecastle outfit. Ian Black, Rudi Skacel, David Obua, Stephen Elliot and Gary Glen also left the club this summer amid significant cost-cutting measures.

• Hibernian manager Pat Fenlon has vowed to change the mentality at the club after saying he is looking for leaders in the transfer window. Citing the permanent signing of James McPake as an example, Fenlon said: “I was delighted to get James. He’s an inspirational character and that’s what we need. It’s the same with Tim [Clancy]. It’s important to change the thinking at the club and the way we want to go forward.”

• Martin Hardie will join Morton this week after impressing in a closed-doors friendly against Albion Rovers. Hardie is on course to put pen to paper on a one-year deal after scoring the winner in the game. (The Sun)