Keith Watson joins Hibs as Booth heads to Partick

DUNDEE United defender Keith Watson has agreed a loan deal with Hibernian until the end of the season, while Easter Road defender Callum Booth has joined Partick Thistle on a similar deal.

Keith Watson in action for Dundee United in last year's Scottish Cup final. Picture: John Devlin
Keith Watson in action for Dundee United in last year's Scottish Cup final. Picture: John Devlin

Watson, 25, said he was ‘excited about the future’ telling “I’m really pleased to sign for Hibernian on loan – it’s a great opportunity for me.

“I know a few of the Hibs players – Scott Allan, Scott Robertson and Farid El Alagui – from my time at United and they’ve all spoken very highly of the manager and the set-up here.

Sign up to our Football newsletter

“I’ve been really impressed with the progress that has been made so far this season and I’m looking forward to being a part of it.

Callum Booth (centre). Picture: SNS

“After experiencing a few set-backs with injuries over the years, I now want to kick-on, play regularly and help the team to achieve promotion.”

Right back Watson has made over 130 appearances for United, and is expected to be added to the squad for Hibernian’s Championship clash with Raith Rovers on Saturday.

Hibs boss Alan Stubbs said Watson’s arrival would provide ‘greater competition for places’, adding: “We’re delighted to have secured Keith’s services until the end of the season.

“Keith will give us an option at both right-back and centre-half - bringing greater balance to the defence and ultimately strengthening the group.

“That is an area that we were looking to strengthen and bringing Keith in on loan has effectively done that.

“I would like to thank Jackie McNamara and Dundee United for allowing us to make this happen.”

Meanwhile, Booth has headed for Firhill in what is the defender’s fifth loan move of his career following spells at Arbroath, Brechin, Livingston and Raith Rovers.

Booth has made 12 appearances this season and scored in the recent 5-0 win over Cowdenbeath.