Hibs pull off a great escape in League Cup

HIBERNIAN showed the type of character they were sorely lacking last season as they scored three goals in the last 12 minutes to come from 2-0 behind to beat Dumbarton in the second round of the Scottish League Cup last night.

Sam Stanton (3rd left) is congratulated on his late winner. Picture: SNS
Sam Stanton (3rd left) is congratulated on his late winner. Picture: SNS

After a brace from Farid El Alagui and Sam Stanton’s dramatic winner, manager Alan Stubbs was a relieved man, but he was also pleased with the character shown by his players. “We haven’t dealt with two set pieces,” he said. “I’ve told the lads that we need to be better, we need to be stronger. We can’t afford to give teams never mind a one-goal start but a two-goal start and expect to win 3-2 every week. But they showed great character to come from 2-0 down. I think they reason they stuck at it is the fans were great – they kept urging them forward.”

Dumbarton boss Ian Murray, a former Easter Road captain, said the first Hibs goal had been critical. “They got it with plenty of time to go,” he said. “Even if they got it with two or three more minutes then we’d probably have won the game.”

Sign up to our Football newsletter

In last night’s other second round ties, Kilmarnock won the Ayrshire derby against Ayr United at Rugby Park thanks to Rory McKenzie’s 69th minute goal, while goals from Gary Oliver and Kevin McHattie saw Hearts beat Stenhousemuir 2-1 at Ochilview.

St Mirren were given a scare by Dunfermline before they won 2-1, but fellow Premiership clubs Hamilton and Dundee were comfortable winners, 4-1 and 4-0 against Alloa and Raith Rovers respectively.

Partick Thistle negotiated a tricky tie at Morton, winning 1-0, while Ross County came from a goal down to win 2-1 after their long journey south to Stranraer. Two of last night’s ties went to extra-time, with Livingston eventually winning 1-0 at home to Queen of the South and Falkirk beating Cowdenbeath 4-3 on penalties after a goalless 120 minutes.

In last night’s only first round tie, Rangers beat Queen’s Park 2-1 at Airdrie’s Excelsior stadium, Kris Boyd scoring a double either side of Tony Quinn’s goal for the Spiders. The reward for Ally McCoist’s side is a second round tie against Inverness Caledonian Thistle.

The draw for the third round takes place at Pittodrie at 1pm today, with former Aberdeen legend Joe Harper the guest of honour .