Don’t ignore us, Hibs fans tell Sir Tom Farmer

Sir Tom Farmer owns 90 per cent of the club. Picture: Greg Macvean
Sir Tom Farmer owns 90 per cent of the club. Picture: Greg Macvean
Share this article
Have your say

CAMPAIGN group BuyHibs has urged Sir Tom Farmer not to ignore the voice of the supporters as the fans’ group continues to push for a meeting with the Hibernian owner.

The group, which is campaigning for fan ownership with the backing of former players Pat Stanton and Paul Kane, has already rejected talks with the current board of directors at Easter Road.

It believes that direct discussions with Kwik-Fit founder Farmer, who owns 90 per cent of the club, and non-executive chairman Rod Petrie, who possesses the remaining 10 per cent, are the only way to bring about change.


Subscribe to our daily newsletter (requires registration) and get the latest news, sport and business headlines delivered to your inbox every morning

• You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Google +

BuyHibs has cited a recent Supporters Direct Scotland (SDS) survey of more than 4,000 fans which showed that 84 per cent of respondents were keen to “discuss the ownership of Hibernian and look at different options going forward” in a bid to force Farmer’s hand.

A BuyHibs spokesperson said: “The recent Supporters Direct Survey saw 84 per cent reply that they think it is the time to discuss a change of direction and ownership.

“SDS highlighted that this was the largest number of replies they had received to any survey regarding single club issues.

“We would urge Sir Tom Farmer to meet with us to discuss options for the future and ensuring that the voice of the 4,000-plus supporters is not ignored.”

Hibs have already announced plans to welcome two supporters’ representatives on to the board of directors by January, with chief executive Leeann Dempster revealing last week that the club had already received 40 applications for the positions.

However, that news has done little to satisfy BuyHibs’ appetite for change.

The group said: “The majority of fans connected to Hibernian realise that some form of change is needed. We are keen to open up the discussions to allow the fans to have a stronger voice and a greater understanding of what options lie ahead.”

BuyHibs hopes to fund a takeover in the same way as the Foundation of Hearts did at Tynecastle, with individual fans pledging a monthly amount and business figures committing a lump sum.

As it continues attempts to drum up support, BuyHibs will host question and answer sessions with fans at the Hibernian Supporters’ Club in Leith tomorrow evening and Wednesday night at 7:30pm.


• Download your free 30-day trial for our iPad, Android Android and Kindle apps

Keep up to date with all aspects of Scottish life with The Scotsman iPhone app, completely free to download and use