Hamilton out on their own after thumping Dumbarton

James Keatings: Scoring form. Picture: SNS
James Keatings: Scoring form. Picture: SNS
Share this article
Have your say

Hamilton Accies crushed Dumbarton 4-1 on the new artificial surface at New Douglas Park to make it a perfect two league wins out of two.

Saturday’s resounding victory, remarkably, leaves Alex Neil’s side as the only team in the Championship to have maximum points at this early stage of the season.

The opening goal came from the penalty spot on 28 minutes when on-loan Sheffield United defender Aaron Barry was penalised for a foul on Grant Gillespie and former Celtic youngster James Keatings, who scored his side’s winner on the opening day of the season, fired past Jamie Ewings.

Keatings netted his third league goal of the campaign two minutes later when he converted a Jon McShane cut-back.

The Sons got a brief foothold in the game when Scott Agnew netted from the spot midway through the second half, but quick-fire goals from Gillespie and Tony Andreu eased Hamilton home.

Neil said: “I am delighted with the win and with scoring four goals. We felt a bit hard done by for their penalty but, rather than let our heads go down at a crucial stage, we hit back strongly.”

Disappointed Dumbarton manager Ian Murray: “We didn’t compete and, overall, we were poor. We need to get back to a much higher standard.”

Falkirk were another side to record a victory on their new artificial pitch as they beat Morton 3-1. The home goals came just before and just after half time, with Rory Loy shooting home on 40 minutes after a Philip Roberts effort had been saved, then, right on half-time, he made it two when he seized on a poor pass from Morton’s Michal Habai.

Roberts crashed home a fine drive three minutes after the break and Falkirk saw the game out despite Reece Hands pulling a late goal back with a low drive.

Last season’s Second Division champions Queen of the South sit on the same four-point mark as Falkirk after an exciting 3-3 draw with Livingston at the Energy Assets Arena. Danny Denholm gave the Lions an early lead after good build-up work from Martin Scott, before former Lions striker Iain Russell equalised seven minutes before half-time. A Ryan McGuffie penalty ensured the Doonhamers went in ahead at the interval.

Calum Fordyce headed Livingston level and the hosts shrugged off the dismissal of Neil Hastings for a second bookable offence to take the lead with ten minutes to go when Danny Mullen netted. Queens weren’t do be denied, however, with substitute Gavin Reilly popping up to net an equaliser with four minutes left.

Cowdenbeath and Raith Rovers played out a cracker of a Fife derby at Central Park, with two late penalties from Greig Spence helping the Kirkcaldy visitors to a 4-3 success. Spence gave Rovers the lead after 90 seconds when he finished off a quick breakaway at the second attempt. Jordan Morton drilled in from 18 yards to level. Joe Cardle swept Raith ahead when he latched on to a Dougie Hill header but Kenny Adamson’s ferocious drive for Cowdenbreath made it 2-2 at the break.

The hosts took the lead for the first time on 65 minutes when Kane Hemmings’ low cross was touched home by Greg Stewart, only for Raith to snatch victory with two spot-kicks in the last nine minutes. After Jason Thomson had been fouled, Spence shot past Grant Adam and, when Adam was dismissed for an injury-time foul on Gordon Smith, the striker scored against replacement keeper Thomas Flynn.

Dundee also won courtesy of a last-gasp penalty, with Kevin McBride converting from the spot to give the Dark Blues a 1-0 victory at home to Alloa.