Haddington secure their double as title rivals Mayfield have to settle for second best again

Haddington United edged out divisional rivals Mayfield 3-1 in the final of the LEAFA Sunday Division One East League Cup at the Civil Service ground.

It was fitting that these two sides took to the field for the showpiece game of the season after they had gone head-to-head in the title race, with Haddington coming out on top.

Haddington coach Colin Young felt his side’s cup victory was the perfect way to end a hugely successful season. He said: “I thought it was an excellent game where both teams passed the ball well but I thought we looked the most likely to score. I am very proud of all the boys. It’s our first season as Haddington United so to win the league and the cup is absolutely fantastic.”

Sign up to our Football newsletter

Sign up to our Football newsletter

Haddington were first to threaten with Martin Ferguson’s effort rebounding off the post. Mayfield then created a great chance of their own which striker Darren Mitchell really should have dispatched. Superb trickery down the right from James Glodek was matched by an equally good cross, but Mitchell failed to hit the target from six yards.

Haddington made the breakthrough after 25 minutes. A weak challenge by Mayfield defender Liam Hall was pounced upon by Stephen Edmond and he produced a neat pass into the path of Jamie Wilson, who finished clinically beyond keeper Liam O’Meara. Goal scorer Wilson then rounded O’Meara and squared the ball into the centre of the goal, but McCormack shot wide with the Mayfield defence crowding the goal line.

Shortly before the break, Mayfield carved out their best chance of the half and one that striker Alistair Adams will still be wondering how he missed. After beating Haddington keeper Gary Laing to a through ball, Adams rounded his opponent and with the goal in full view, he somehow managed to knock the ball wide of the post.

Mayfield reappeared in more determined spirits after the break and were rewarded with an equaliser. Ross Cowan brought down Mitchell and Adams lashed the resultant penalty past Laing to level the score at 1-1. However, Mayfield were only level for a matter of minutes as Haddington took the lead for a second time.

McCormack brushed off the challenge of a Mayfield defender and with O’Meara off his line in a bid to stop the striker, he calmly lifted the ball over Mayfield’s No.1 to send the Haddington players and coaches into raptures.

With the initiative now firmly in their hands, Haddington went in search of increasing their goal tally and once again it arrived courtesy of McCormack. Wilson played a searching pass down the right wing, giving John McLean a chase to reach the ball.

Managing to take control ahead of Hall, he whipped in a near-post cross where the unmarked McCormack slotted into the back of the net. Mayfield certainly had their chances to fight themselves back into contention but Thomas Melrose, with several opportunities, and Adams, who struck a ferocious effort off the underside of the bar, couldn’t salvage any late drama as Haddington held on to preserve their 3-1 lead and claim a league and cup double.

Haddington United: Gary Laing, Stephen Edmond, Norrie Archibald, Marc McCormack, Ross Cowan, Mark White, Jamie Wilson, Craig Hamilton, Gary Wilkie, John McLean, Elvis Kilic, Martin Ferguson, Joe Burns, Greig White, Callum Smillie.

Mayfield: Liam O’Meara, Craig Burns, Liam Hall, Kenny Quinn, Sean Dillon, Wayne Irvine, James Glodek, Scott Mitchell, Darren Mitchell, Alistair Adams, Michael Davidson, Neil Davidson, Steven Thomas, Keith Melrose, David Thomas Gillan, Thomas Melrose, Shaun Thornton.