Goals galore for Rangers, but their defence still has a point to prove

Rangers' Andrew Little presses forward. Picture: SNS
Rangers' Andrew Little presses forward. Picture: SNS
Share this article
Have your say

ANDY Little wants Rangers to shut up shop at the back now that they are ­scoring goals for fun in the Irn-Bru Third Division.

Elgin City 2 - 6 Rangers

Scorers: Elgin - Moore 18, Nicholson 32; Rangers - Little 5, 24, McCulloch 41, 60, Macleod 64, Hutton 83

Referee: B Colvin

Attendance: 3,448

The forward helped himself to a double yesterday as Rangers moved nine points clear at the top with a game in hand thanks to a 6-2 win at nearest rivals Elgin City. The top-of-the-table clash proved entertaining for the Ibrox faithful who made the long trip north.

But, with Daniel Moore and Mark Nicolson both netting for the home side, Little admits Rangers must tighten up defensively, having also conceded twice at Montrose last week.

He said: “We are scoring goals and we always know we are a threat going forward. We want to stop conceding and keep scoring but we are starting to win games well now. It was a tough game.

“They are probably our biggest rivals in the league at the minute and the ­gaffer put a lot of emphasis on it. We really wanted to win this game and go nine points clear with a game in hand.”

Lee McCulloch also claimed a brace, while Lewis Macleod and Kyle Hutton grabbed a goal apiece.

Little added: “Everyone is getting on the scoresheet and it’s good for the team spirit. Personally, I want to keep scoring as many as I can. At the same time, with the bigger wins, we can entertain the fans as much as we can.”

Little now has an impressive 13 goals for the campaign, but still trails McCulloch who is on 22. He said: “I said at the start of the season that all I want to do is play in every single game. That was my main aim. I’m delighted when I score and that’s a big part of my game.”

Rangers were clearly keen to make up for lost time and took the lead after five minutes when Little collected a neat pass from David Templeton and rounded keeper John Gibson.

But Elgin were back on level terms after 17 minutes when the ball broke for Moore and he sent an impressive ­curling effort past Neil Alexander.

The Gers restored their lead after 24 minutes when Little had an easy tap-in after a Templeton cut-back.

Again, the home side responded well when Chris Hegarty was booked for a foul on David Niven on the edge of the box. Nicolson’s swerving free-kick flew into the top corner on 32 minutes.

But Rangers had the net bulging again four minues before the break.

Little collected from Hutton before supplying the cross for McCulloch to lash home in off the crossbar. ­McCulloch was on target again, racing onto a Templeton ball and fired into the bottom corner after 60 minutes.

Macleod got his name on the scoresheet four minutes later with strike from inside the box and Hutton put the gloss on the win when he rifled home from 20 yards after 83 minutes.

Alexander denied Moore from the penalty spot two minutes later, but Elgin boss Ross Jack refused to be too hard on his players. He said: “I’m ­disappointed with the second half but one defeat in ten, against Rangers, is no disgrace, that’s for sure.”