Chelsea playmaker Eden Hazard has reignited speculation over his future by saying it would be difficult to rebuff an approach from tonight’s Champions League opponents Paris St Germain.
Hazard, who joined the London club from Lille for a reported fee of £32 million in June 2012, has been repeatedly courted by Real Madrid and PSG after his scintillating performances last season when Chelsea won the Premier League and Capital One Cup.
The Belgian’s displays this season have been less emphatic and Chelsea’s lowly league position means a likely absence of Champions League football next term – unless the Blues beat PSG in the last-16 tie, the first leg of which takes place at Parc des Princes, and go on to win this season’s elite trophy.
A summer of transition is likely, but a player exodus is possible if Chelsea are not in Europe’s major competition.
The 25-year-old said: “(It is) difficult to say no to PSG, or to any of the teams capable of winning the Champions League.
“PSG are now in that category. And for me, winning the Champions League is my main aim.”
Hazard attempted to backtrack, pointing to his contract that expires in 2020, but the timing of his comments will cause alarm with the Blues facing the most important week of their season as Manchester City visit in the FA Cup on Sunday.
“For the moment, I’m not really thinking about (a move),” Hazard added.
Hazard scored his first goal of the season in the 31 January FA Cup win over MK Dons, when he returned from a groin injury.
He recently admitted he sent a message of apology to Jose Mourinho after the Portuguese was sacked as Chelsea manager in December.
Meanwhile, captain John Terry will miss Chelsea’s clash with PSG in Parisdue to a hamstring injury and has not travelled to France. The 35-year-old went off towards the end of the first half of Saturday’s 5-1 Premier League win over Newcastle.
Terry underwent a scan on Sunday and took part in Chelsea’s open training session yesterday afternoon, but the club later announced he had not travelled with the squad.
Terry’s next appearance will be his 700th for Chelsea and could come in Sunday’s FA Cup tie against Manuel Pellegrini’s team.
Terry is out of contract at the end of the season and last month said his deal would not be extended. The club maintain an offer may be forthcoming.
A story on Chelsea’s official website read: “John Terry has not travelled due to a minor problem with his hamstring and ligament.”
Oscar missed the Newcastle game with a calf problem but has travelled, while United States defender Matt Miazga could make his debut after joining the travelling party.
Academy defender Jake Clarke-Salter has also been included after Kurt Zouma (knee) was ruled out for the season.
Nemanja Matic is suspended but made the trip to Paris, but Brazil forward Pato has stayed behind.