East Fife on brink of title after 3-0 win over Montrose

Gary Naysmith's East Fife need a maximum of three points from their remaining three games to seal the League Two title after a comprehensive 3-0 victory over Montrose at New Bayview.

Nathan Austin scored the third in East Fife's 3-0 win over Montrose. Picture: Gary Hutchison/SNS
Nathan Austin scored the third in East Fife's 3-0 win over Montrose. Picture: Gary Hutchison/SNS

The league leaders started ferociously and opened the scoring after 13 minutes when Jonathan Page converted a Scott Mercer centre. Four minutes later, the Fifers doubled their advantage courtesy of Stevie Campbell’s free-kick and the Methil side’s talisman Nathan Austin, pictured, finished off Montrose before the half-hour mark with a customarily composed finish from Naysmith’s through ball.

Clyde slip to third and will more than likely have to settle for the play-offs following a 3-0 reverse at Berwick Rangers. Blair Henderson’s 21st-minute header set Berwick on their way and the forward added a second with five minutes remaining, capitalising on a Marc Waters error in the Clyde goal. The misery deepened for Barry Ferguson’s side when Darren Lavery teed up Jordan McGregor for a late third.

Sign up to our Football newsletter

Replacing Clyde in second place courtesy of a superior goal difference are Annan Athletic who enjoyed an entertaining 4-1 triumph over lowly Arbroath.

Josh Todd struck a 22nd-minute opener for Annan on the rebound after Peter Weatherson struck the bar. Arbroath restored parity three minutes later through Jamie Reid’s sensational strike, but parity was brief as Lewis Guy immediately fired Annan back in front after an Allan Fleming error.

Todd notched his second moments after half-time before Smart Osadolor struck late on.

Queen’s Park climbed into fourth spot with an easy 3-0 success at bottom club East Stirlingshire, whose league status is now in doubt having guaranteed an unwanted place in the relegation play-off. Jamie McKernon, Vinnie Berry and Paul Woods scored the goals.

Elgin City dropped out of the play-off places after a dreary 0-0 draw with Stirling Albion at Forthbank.