East Fife 0 - 0 Peterhead: All square in SFL2 play-off

East Fife's Scott Durie battles with Andy Rodgers. Picture: SNS
East Fife's Scott Durie battles with Andy Rodgers. Picture: SNS
Share this article
Have your say

IT IS all to play for in the ­Second Division Play-off final at ­Balmoor this Sunday after East Fife and Peterhead played out a goalless draw at New Bayview.

Referee: J Beaton

Attendance: 856

The Blue Toon will probably feel the most aggrieved at the blank scoreline as they had the better openings on a wet night in Fife.

The game started at a frantic pace with play switching from one end to another, but there was little in the way of constructive football played by either side in the opening ten minutes.

Gareth Wardlaw had the first half-chance on 12 minutes when a free-kick broke into his path, however he miskicked his effort straight to the visiting Bryan Gilfillan who cleared.

The Blue Toon’s first effort came on 17 minutes when Andy Rodgers flicked his way past left-back Craig Johnstone and fired in a low effort that rolled past.

Rodgers featured again five minutes later when he tried an ambitious overhead kick from 12 yards, however Calum Antell easily gathered with Jamie Redman picking up the game’s first booking as he brought down Paul Willis as they chased the goalkeeper’s clearance.

Peterhead were gifted an opportunity to take the lead on 32 minutes when Darren Smith was short with a headed passback and the ball dropped perfectly for the normally deadly Rory McAllister, but he lifted his eight-yard effort over the bar.

The Balmoor men were taking a grip at this stage however Dean Cowie and Redman passed up the opportunity to shoot after a McAllister cut back. As their hosts struggled to clear David Cox fired in an effort that was only just deflected wide.

The visitors continued to be on top in the lead up to half time, although their goalkeeper Graeme Smith caused panic when he sent a kick-out straight to Bobby Barr 20 yards from goal. The striker looked to have taken the ball past him on his way to shooting into an empty net, until Smith stuck out a hand to save on the goalline.

The home side were dealt a blow at the start of the second half as Wardlaw was carried off and Collin Samuel was introduced in his place..

Peterhead had been quiet since the re-start however striker Rodgers burst into life just before the hour mark when he cut in from the touchline and beat two defenders to crack in a shot that looked goalbound until a deflection lifted it a foot over the bar.

Rodgers was sent clear five minutes later by Cox, however Antell’s legs denied him before McAllister headed the rebound wide.

East Fife reminded Peterhead they were in the game with 20 minutes to go as Smith had to stretch to stop Ross Smith’s clearance from a Paul Willis cross from going over his line.

Willis headed over a half chance on 78 minutes before Peterhead resumed control with Cox seeing a close range shot turned wide by Scott Durie and Redman sending in a fierce drive that had Antell stretching before rising over the bar.

East Fife: Antell, Durie, Johnstone, Muir, White, Campbell, Willis, Smith, Wardlaw (Samuel 48), Barr (Gormley 77), McBride

Subs not used: McManus, Sloan, Brown .

Peterhead: Smith, Sharp, Noble, Ross, Smith, Cowie, Cox, Redman, McAllister, Gilfillan, Rodgers (McCann 83). Subs not used: McGlinchey, Fitzgerald, Jarvie.