Derek Riordan nets winner for East Fife over Annan

Derek Riordan celebrates his late winner. Picture: George McLuskie
Derek Riordan celebrates his late winner. Picture: George McLuskie
Share this article
Have your say

NO-one is quite sure how long the marriage between Derek Riordan and East Fife will last.

However, they are making the best of their short union with the former Hibs, Celtic and Scotland front man who netted the winner in Saturday’s 2-1 success over visitors Annan.

The Galabank men took the lead after 27 minutes when Steven Logan finished emphatically from 12 yards, but the Fifers gained a deserved leveller midway through the second half when Nathan Austin controlled a pass from Allan Walker and slotted home.

Riordan, who made his second trialist appearance as a substitute with half an hour to go, settled the outcome in the final minute when he flicked the ball home from close range.

Bayview player/boss Gary Naysmith said: “Derek was a fox in the box and that is what we needed to win this game. I will be speaking to his agent over next couple of days to see what we can do. He will want to play at a higher level but we have given him a chance to get his career going again so we will see what happens.”

Riordan, who became a dad after his Tuesday night appearance against East Stirling, said: “I was pleased to get the goal and I am enjoying things at East Fife. I am helping out and I have one more game as a trialist.”

Naysmith’s side are now a point behind their fourth-placed opponents in a league now headed by Albion Rovers who ended a run of four defeats with a 2-0 success at Berwick Rangers, Ross Dunlop’s first-half header added to by Mark McGuigan’s solo effort in the second period.

Queen’s Park, who went top last weekend, were brought back to earth with a bump in their 3-1 defeat at East Stirling.

The Shire signed 17-year-old striker Kevin Nisbet on loan from Partick Thistle on Friday and he had a memorable debut by scoring in each half. After he shot home in 12 minutes, Shire goalkeeper Richie Barnard saved a Jordan Moore penalty. David McKenna’s header midway through the second half doubled their lead before Vinny Berry pulled a goal back from 30 yards. Nisbet eased the Shire to victory when he netted with three minutes left.

Arbroath came back from three goals down to draw 3-3 with visitors Elgin City. A double by Shane Sutherland and Brian Cameron’s goal looked to have the points heading north with only a quarter of the game remaining, but the Red Lichties rallied and goals by Paul McManus, Ricky Little and Bobby Linn earned a point.

Montrose are now further adrift at the foot of the table after losing 2-0 at Clyde. Garry Wood’s own goal and Scott Ferguson’s header secured the points.