Police set up email to report Scottish Cup final offenders

Picture: Robert Perry
Picture: Robert Perry
Have your say

POLICE investigating the pitch invasion at the Scottish Cup Final have set up a dedicated e-mail address to which fans can send footage and photos of the disturbance.

Officers have arrested or reported to the procurator fiscal 15 people since the scenes which marred the end of the match between Hibs and Rangers at Hampden on Saturday.

A dedicated inquiry team has been set up to probe the incident and police are reviewing photos and videos, including CCTV, to identify those individuals involved in the disorder and other criminal behaviour on the pitch.

Lead officer Detective Superintendent Kenny Graham stressed the force wants to identify those responsible for criminal acts, not people “caught up in the crowd”.

He said: “Our focus at the moment is on reviewing video and images in order that we identify those who were responsible for causing disorder, violence and anti-social behaviour on the pitch, not those who may have been caught up in the crowd.

“I am sure that there are people who witnessed or have captured incidents on their mobiles and it’s vital that we speak to them so we can view any material that could help us.

“Similarly, I am keen to appeal to the media to send any footage or images to us, as well as members of the public, as this could assist with the inquiry.

• READ MORE: Scottish Cup pitch invasion could spark clampdown

“We now have a dedicated e-mail address set up to receive images and video from the public and media and I would urge them to send any material to ScottishCupFinalPitchInvasion@Scotland.pnn.police.uk or by phoning the incident room on 0141 532 5457.

“I understand that people may be reluctant to come forward but I want to reassure you that my focus is tracking down those involved in criminal behaviour.”

Hibs beat Rangers 3-2 with an injury-time goal which brought them their first Scottish Cup win in 114 years.

Thousands of exuberant Hibs supporters flooded the pitch following the Edinburgh team’s dramatic win and Rangers claim that their players and staff were assaulted in the celebrations.

Fans of the Ibrox side also made it past stewards and on to the pitch, leading to a period of fighting between the two sets of supporters before mounted Police Scotland officers restored order.

The Scotsman’s EU Referendum page: Keep up to date with latest news, polls and features.