Celtic linked with ex-Juventus defender Marco Motta; Hoops stand firm over Rangers EBTs and Nottingham Forest, Wolves and Charlton target Hamilton’s Ziggy Gordon
Hoops linked with Marco Motta
CELTIC have been linked with a move for former Juventus defender Marco Motta. The 29-year-old right back had a short spell with Watford last season, helping them achieve promotion to the English Premier League.
And Motta, currently without a club, reportedly has offers from the US and Spain, with Celta Vigo believed to be keeping tabs on him.
But Celtic have reportedly offered the Italian a one-year deal with the option of a further year, with talks said to be ongoing. (Tutto Mercato)
Hoops stand firm over Rangers EBTs
CELTIC have moved to underline their contrasting stance to Rangers chairman Dave King’s claim that the Ibrox club received no sporting advantage from their use of Employee Benefit Trusts (EBTs).
The Hoops reiterated their position less than 24 hours after King released a defiant statement warning other clubs and Scottish football authorities against stripping titles from Rangers.
The Parkhead club released a short statement reading: “We are aware of last week’s Court of Session ruling, which we note is subject to potential appeal.
“In 2013, we expressed surprise over the findings of the SPL Commission that no competitive or sporting advantage had resulted. That remains our view.” (The Scotsman)
English trio eye Ziggy Gordon
NOTTINGHAM Forest, Charlton and Wolves have all been linked with a move for Hamilton defender Ziggy Gordon.
The 22-year-old right back, who has made more than 100 appearances for the Accies, has spent over 10 years at Hamilton.
His contract expires next summer, with the three clubs scouting Gordon ahead of potential bids. (Scottish Sun)
Hibs lose Malonga to Congo
HIBS will be without striker Dominique Malonga for their rearranged clash with Livingston on Tuesday.
The France-born forward has been recalled by Congo for a World Cup qualifying double header with Ethiopia.
However, Alan Stubbs is convinced his team will be able to cope without the 26-year-old.
He said: “It’s unfortunate that he won’t be available but we have options to cover. There is a lot of competition for places in the squad at the moment and I’m sure whoever takes the starting spot will make the most of the opportunity.” (Evening News)
Samaras linked with US switch
FORMER Celtic forward Georgios Samaras could seal a move to New York Cosmos, and has been training with the NASL side sinc ethe summer.
Talks have been held with the ex-Man City and West Brom star, who is currently recovering from a back injury, and the 30-year-old is currently a free agent.
And Cosmos chief Erik Stover is hopeful of agreeing a deal for the Greek forward, with talks set to resume in a matter of weeks. (World Soccer Talk)
Boyd accuses Molde of targeting Jozo
EX-Celtic star Tom Boyd has accused Molde of targeting Jozo Simunovic during the recent 2-1 loss at Parkhead.
The Croatian stopper was subbed after just five minutes following a robust challenge from Molde forward Tommy Hoiland. And Boyd believes it was a deliberate move.
Boyd told the Evening Times: “The tackle that injured [Jozo], if you watch it back again, is actually an awkward one and the player who goes in on him almost leads with the wrong foot. He seems keen to get that particular ankle.” (Evening Times)