League Two: Queen’s Park beat Clyde to go into second place

Vinnie Berry of Queen's Park. Picture: Ross Parker/SNS
Vinnie Berry of Queen's Park. Picture: Ross Parker/SNS
Have your say

Queen’s Park climbed to second in League Two after a 2-1 win over Clyde who slip to fourth, with neither side assured of a play-off berth with one game remaining.

The Glasgow hosts opened the scoring with a 22nd minute penalty by Chris Duggan after Scott McMann’s foul on Paul Woods.

A fabulous solo effort from Vinnie Berry, pictured, doubled their lead shortly after the break and there was no way back for Clyde despite John Gemmell’s 59th-minute header.

Queen’s Park now need a maximum of a point from their final match at Annan Athletic who sit fifth after a 2-1 loss at Stirling Albion.

A cool finish from Moses Olanrewaju in the seventh minute put Stirling in front and they added a second in the 76th minute through Ross Kavanagh’s first goal for the club. Josh Todd notched a late consolation for Annan who will need to beat Queen’s Park by three goals on the final day to be certain of a play-off spot.

Elgin City rise to third courtesy of a comfortable 3-0 success at bottom side East Stirling. An early opener from Brian Cameron set the Moray men on their way and Dylan Easton struck a second before half-time. Cameron’s second in the 75th minute sealed another defeat for Shire whose attention will be on a relegation play-off with either Cove Rangers or Edinburgh City.

Champions East Fife stumbled to a 2-0 loss at Berwick Rangers with 25 Fife fans missing the match when their chartered boat sailed to the wrong town, arriving at North Berwick, approximately 40 miles away from Berwick-upon-Tweed where Gary Naysmith’s side fell to ten men.

After Blair Henderson’s headed opener in the 72nd minute, Berwick had Jordan McGregor sent off but prevailed nonetheless with Darren Lavery adding a second at the death.

Further up the east coast, in the Angus derby between ninth-placed Arbroath and eighth-placed Montrose neither side could find the net in a forgettable 0-0 draw.