League One wrap: Shaun Rooney nets Dunfermline winner

Shaun Rooney sent Dumferline six points clear at the top. Picture: SNS
Shaun Rooney sent Dumferline six points clear at the top. Picture: SNS
Have your say

Dunfermline moved six points clear at the top but had to show great patience before gathering all three points at home to Stenhousemuir.

The leaders did not fire on all cylinders and had to wait until late in the game for Shaun Rooney, pictured, to give them a 1-0 victory.

Dunfermline enjoyed the bulk of possession and Andy Geggan came close by flashing an early shot wide.

Michael Moffat then directed a shot straight at Matthew Gould which the Stenhousemuir goalkeeper dealt with comfortably.

Josh Falkingham then curled a free-kick narrowly wide of target as Dunfermline moved up a gear.

But Stenhousemuir were frustrating the home side for long spells until Rooney brought relief to the home fans.

He beat Gould with a low shot with 12 minutes left just as Dunfermline looked short on ideas.

Ayr United slipped further behind after crashing 3-0 at Peterhead.

Peterhead took the lead after 63 minutes after a super strike from Kevin Dzierzawski.

Shane Sutherland put the result beyond doubt with a second goal on the break as Ayr pressed for the equaliser and four minutes later contributed the third goal.

Albion Rovers closed the gap on second place after a 1-1 draw at home to Forfar Athletic but will feel 
they should have taken all three points.

Paul Willis gave them a half-time lead with a 42nd-minute strike but Forfar substitute Kerr Hay scored a brilliant late volley to deny them the win.

Brechin City leapfrogged Stranraer at the bottom with a 2-0 home win.

Dene Shields put them in front after 20 minutes with a shot on the turn and Isaac Layne netted a second, shooting low past David McGurn.

McGurn saved a penalty from Layne on the stroke of half-time to keep Stranraer in the game.

Cowdenbeath beat Airdrieonians 3-0 at Central Park. Greig Spence put them in front on the stroke of half-time when he headed home from Dean Brett’s cross.

Andy Murdoch scored a superb second before Spence then notched his second with 20 minutes left.