Wayne Rooney lights up Craven Cottage

Share this article
Have your say

Wayne Rooney’s solitary goal turned the spotlight on Manchester United’s title rivals as they beat Fulham in a match which was interrupted by floodlight failure at Craven Cottage.

His strike 11 minutes from time sent United ten points clear of Manchester City, who entertain Liverpool today, and a massive 16 ahead of third-placed Chelsea.

A whirlwind opening was halted just before half-time when the stadium was plunged into darkness. Prior to that, United had struck the woodwork three times and Fulham once. But, instead of a goal deluge, there was just Rooney’s single strike, a cool curling finish from David De Gea’s long punt downfield.

Marouane Fellaini scored a last-minute equaliser for the home side as struggling Aston Villa drew 3-3 with Everton at Goodison Park. Christian Benteke fired the ball low past Tim Howard in the second minute before Victor Anichebe levelled the score.Gabriel Agbonlahor fired into the bottom corner to give Paul Lambert’s Villa a 2-1 lead at the break.

They extended their lead when Benteke added his second, heading past Howard in a bid to seal a much-needed win. But Fellaini, pictured, poked the ball home and then levelled the score with a header in the 90th minute.

Reading beat Sunderland 2-1 at the Madejski Stadium to climb out of the drop zone. Jimmy Kebe fired the ball home to give Reading the lead before Craig Gardner levelled the score at the break with a penalty. Kebe’s late winner gave Reading a vital three points.

Wigan drew 2-2 with Southampton at the DW Stadium. Rickie Lambert’s header cancelled out Gary Caldwell’s effort before Morgan Schneiderlin scored late. Shaun Maloney popped up with a late equaliser for the Latics.

Arsenal beat Stoke 1-0 at the Emirates when Lukas Podolski’s deflected free-kick went past goalkeeper Asmir Begovic, who had kept the Potters in it with a series of quality saves.

Norwich goalkeeper Mark Bunn saved a penalty as QPR were held to a goalless draw at Loftus Road. The 0-0 stalemate left Rangers at the foot of the table.

West Ham beat Swansea 1-0 at Upton Park thanks to an Andy Carroll header.