Football in brief: Kal Naismith | Billy Dodds | Danny Simpson

Share this article
Have your say

RANGERS striker Kal Naismith has been handed a two-match ban after his William Hill Scottish Cup red card against Dundee United.

The 20-year-old frontman was sent off in Saturday’s 3-0 Tannadice defeat after launching into a late tackle on Arabs midfielder Willo Flood.

Referee Euan Norris decided the challenge amounted to serious foul play and produced a straight card.

His report has now been received by Scottish Football Association officials at Hampden, who have confirmed to the club that a two-match punishment will be imposed.

The suspension is immediate and means Naismith will miss Rangers’ fixtures with Queen’s Park this weekend and Clyde at Broadwood on 16 February.

Rangers midfielder Ian Black was also sent off in the match following two yellow cards.

Dodds throws hat into Thistle ring

Former Scotland striker Billy Dodds has strongly hinted he is interested in the manager’s post at Partick Thistle after being overlooked by Dundee United.

Dodds, was interviewed before Tannadice chairman Stephen Thomson opted to take Jackie McNamara from Firhill.

The Jags have appointed Alan Archibald as caretaker boss but Dodds, who had a brief spell at the club at end of his playing career, has suggested that the vacancy appeals to him.

Dodds said: “People seem to think that Dundee United job was a straight shoot-out between Jackie McNamara and [Falkirk manager] Steven Pressley but I feel I might have been closer to getting it than has been suggested. Alan Archibald, is someone I have a lot of respect for, but I live four miles away [from Firhill] and my wee boy is a Thistle fan. Take out of that what you want.”

Simpson ‘okay’ after 4am attack

Newcastle defender Danny Simpson said he was “okay” after footage was posted online showing him apparently unconscious and bleeding in the street. The 26-year-old was on a night out in his home city of Manchester when he was allegedly caught up in a fight.

Footage showed the former Manchester United player bleeding from the mouth and lying in the street outside a takeaway. At least two people were filming the scene on mobile phones.

According to reports, he had been punched to the ground, and was later taken to hospital.

The player, dating X Factor judge Tulisa Contostavlos, seemed to back up the story when he tweeted: “For the record im okay, 2 on 1 well done!”

Police were not thought to be investigating the 4am incident.