Championship: Queen of the South stick to script

Share this article
Have your say

Queen of the South may have changed divisions and also changed manager as Jim McIntyre came in to ­replace Allan Johnston over the ­summer but scoring goals and winning games look to have remained the same judging by Saturday’s 4-3 ­success over Dundee.

After receiving the Second Division Championship flag ahead of kick-off, the Doonhamers announced their arrival into the second tier of Scottish football in the same style that their record-breaking exploits were achieved with last season.

The pre-season title favourites from Dens Park provided a stern test for the home side, however they came through it well as they recovered from going a goal behind to enjoy a 4-3 success.

It looked like the Dumfries men were going to find it hard going when last season’s top-flight side took an early lead when Peter McDonald curled home from 15 yards, however they took the set-back in their stride.

Former Dark Blue Derek Lyle headed in a Chris Mitchell free-kick to draw them level in first-half injury time and a devastating 11-minute spell in the ­second half had McIntyre’s men 4-1 ahead with 20 minutes left.

Ryan McGuffie converted a ­penalty after Stephen McKenna had been fouled, and Iain Russell volleyed in ­before Michael Paton got the fourth.

Dundee rallied with Declan Gallacher pulling a goal back with a header and Iain Davidson squeezing in a third, but the hosts kept the points.

McIntyre said: “I feel that we deserved our win in what was a really entertaining game. During that period when we scored the three goals some of our play was terrific.”

Dundee boss John Brown was honest afterwards saying: “If we had a got a fourth goal we would have been fortunate to leave with a draw. Queen of the South deserved their win and we did not play to an acceptable level.”

Morton sit above the Doonhamers in first place following their 2-0 Cappielow win over Cowdenbeath. Summer signing Reece Hands shot home the first from 25 yards in the first half and Archie Campbell raced on to a Dougie Imrie pass to fire in the second.

The Blue Brazil ended the game with ten men after Thomas O’Brien picked up a late second yellow card.

Hamilton lost to Raith Rovers at Stark’s Park in week one of the league fixtures last season but they turned that around this time out with a 1-0 success on the road.

James Keatings scored the game’s only goal midway through the second half when he shot home a Mickey Devlin knock down from close range.

Alloa picked up a win in their first game following their promotion via the play-offs as they saw off Livingston 1-0 at Recreation Park. Stephen Simmons hit home the winner from a Kevin Cawley cross just before the break with the visiting Ross Docherty sent off in the second half for a verbal spat with referee Bobby Madden.

Dumbarton and Falkirk drew 1-1 at the Bet Butler Stadium with home substitute Bryan Prunty hitting a late leveller from a Kevin Smith knock down to cancel out Connor McGrandles’ goal for the Bairns just after the hour mark.