Friendly round-up: Celtic lose to St Pauli

Bahrudin Atajic missed a late penalty as a second-string Celtic side went down to a 1-0 friendly defeat against St Pauli in Hamburg.

St Pauli's Soeren Gonther and Celtic's Tony Watt compete for the ball. Picture: AP

Amido Balde missed a decent chance before Christopher Nothe slotted the ball past Craig Gordon five minutes before the break.

Tony Watt twice came close as Celtic fought back and the lively Paul McMullan won a penalty with three minutes left, but Atajic shot over the bar.

Sign up to our Football newsletter

Sign up to our Football newsletter

Nir Biton captained Celtic while Gordon and Lukasz Zaluska shared goalkeeping duties.

Trialist Callum Ball made an early impression by opening the scoring for St Mirren as they eked out a hard-fought 4-2 win over fired-up Evostik Premier League hosts Blyth Spartans.

With veteran duo Steven Thompson and Jim Goodwin injured, and Jeroen Tesselaar not joining up with the squad until today, Buddies manager Tommy Craig named a starting XI with five teenagers.

It also contained 21-year-old

Ball, and the recently-released

Derby County striker required only five minutes to get on the scoresheet when he tapped in from close range after James Marwood had rolled a low pass perfectly into his path.

The Buddies increased their lead three minutes before the break when Marwood latched on to a long ball and drilled home a low shot.

Blyth pulled one back six minutes into the second half when Neil Hooks tapped in after Marian Kello could only parry a Jarrett Rivers effort. And the home side deservedly levelled in 74 minutes when Paul Robinson netted a penalty.

But St Mirren finished

strongly and former Hibs striker Ross Caldwell edged them ahead again in 89 minutes when

he charged down a kick-out from

the Blyth keeper before young Mark Williams turned home their fourth with the last kick of the game.

Hamilton needed two late goals and two penalties to come from behind and beat Shildon 3-1.

Jason Scotland levelled from

the spot just before the break and Danny Redmond finished well with nine minutes left before Mickael Antoine-Curier converted the

second penalty.

Ross County drew 1-1 at Nairn County.