Blistering show in second half seals semi-final spot

Tynecastle Under-17s
Tynecastle Under-17s
Share this article
Have your say

Tynecastle 17s won a place in the semi-finals of the Tom Wilson Memorial Trophy with a 6-1 demolition of Salvesen CFC 96 at Forrester High – 
although it wasn’t as comfortable a victory as the scoreline suggests.

Tynecastle went ahead on 20 minutes when Connor Brydon rose above the Salvesen defence to crash his header in off the bar following a terrific delivery from Clayton Crowther.

The hosts, however, were level ten minutes later when Cameron MacFarlane struck beyond Cameron Tulloch in the Tynecastle goal from close range.

Tynecastle emerged for the second half a more spirited unit and regained the lead through Brydon as he clipped home within three minutes of the restart. Euan Lannon’s corner from the right was headed into the top corner by Bradd Campsie as Tynecastle increased their lead before Salvesen’s Cameron Atwell saw red for tripping Azad Okan in the penalty area, Brydon scoring the resulting spot-kick to complete his hat-trick.

James Redpath then made it five with a neat finish before striker Sean Williamson capitalised on Ross Cairney’s hesitance in the Salvesen goal to coolly slot home for number six.

Tynecastle coach Douglas Ormston said: “The second half we were a lot more dominant even before the sending off as I thought we used the wide areas a lot better. We are already into one cup final, into the semi with this one, still involved in another two cups, and we’re sitting top of the league so it’s a great position to be in.”

Rose bloom as Currie wilt

Bonnyrigg Rose 19s 
defeated Currie BC 2-0 on their route to the semi-finals of the Federation of Hibs Supporters’ Cup at Poltonhall.

Bonnyrigg’s Stuart Murray felt his players were slightly below-par but was pleased all the same to reach the last four of the competition.

Murray said: “I would say we just about deserved the victory. We weren’t at our best and our goalkeeper had a couple of decent saves, but I think we were the better side throughout and are pleased to be through.”

The home side were 1-0 ahead at the break after some neat work from Calum Murray set Harry Tranent up to score the only goal of the first half.

Bonnyrigg doubled their advantage despite some pressure from visitors Currie as Michael Stewart’s teasing cross was met by Ben Smith, who looped his header into the back of the net.

Bonnyrigg now await the winners of the Tweedmouth Juniors and runaway Division 1 leaders Musselburgh Windsor tie for a place in this year’s final.

Hutchie have a little extra

Hutchison Vale 13s are through to the SPORTS
assist South East Region Cup final after an extra-time 2-0 victory over Leith Athletic at 

Vale will now lock horns with Loanhead Miners Youth after the Midlothian-based outfit crushed Tynecastle 7-2 in the cup’s second semi-final tie.

Both sides created chances throughout the match, but were unable to find a way past goalkeepers Evan Glendinning of Leith Athletic and Hutchie’s Ross Coats, who both turned in terrific individual 

Hutchie looked the more likely to break the deadlock and despite a period of increasing pressure on the Leith goal during the second half, the visitors held firm to see the tie move into extra time.

Hutchie’s passage into the 
final, however, was sealed when winger Calum Hall delivered a telling cross for team-mate Ben Swan to connect with an 
accurate strike that found its way through a ruck of players and into the back of the net.

Hutchie then ensured there would be no comeback on the cards for Leith with a killer second goal as Hall’s near-post corner was volleyed in off the underside of the bar by Gregor Lamb.