Blackhall joy

Share this article
Have your say

Blackhall Athletic 13s were pushed all the way by Redhall Star in the final of the AC Taxis Cup at Saughton, but prevailed 3-2 on penalties after the match had ended 3-3.

Blackhall roared into a 3-0 lead through a Josh Vernon double and a superb 25-yard strike from Corann Henderson.

However, Redhall’s Max 
Dumanye capitalised on a poor clearance in the Blackhall 
defence to provide some hope when he made it 3-1 before Jack Anderson’s rasping drive from distance cut Blackhall’s lead to just one.

Lorenzo Parente then completed the Redhall comeback with a superbly finished equaliser to send the match into 
extra-time, however, neither side were able to add to their goal tally despite both sets of players creating a number of chances.

It was Blackhall who were the more clinical from 12 yards, though, and goals from Vernon, Henderson and Scott Palmer proved decisive.

Billy the star

A brace from striker Billy Nicoll secured Currie Star 14s a 2-1 victory over Edinburgh City Whites in the Ian Mackay Cup final at Saughton.

The Division 2 sides provided an entertaining spectacle for those gathered in wet conditions but Nicoll’s double was enough to land Currie cup glory. Nicoll fired his side into an early lead but City equalised from Russell Drummond’s 
penalty after Star goalkeeper Robert Watt had brought Michael Murphy’s run to a sudden halt.

However, Star responded almost immediately and it was Nicoll who saw his header power past goalkeeper Ben Young from Harry Taylor-Cavanagh’s corner from the left. City pressed for an equaliser in the second half but the Currie 
rearguard stood up to the challenge and preserved their lead to see out the final as 2-1 winners.

Eskmill glory

Eskmill FC 16s edged out Edinburgh United to lift the Division 2 League Cup after a 1-0 victory at a rainy and windy New Dundas Park in Bonnyrigg.

The only goal of the game came when Connor McKinnon’s wind-assisted, 
in-swinging corner from the left completely evaded a packed penalty area and flew in at the far post, much to the dismay of United goalkeeper Damian Iwola.

Both sides created ample opportunities thereafter but it was the Eskmill players celebrating come full-time.

Villa triumph

Longniddry Villa Blues 16s proved too strong for Loanhead Miners Youth Colts as the East Lothian outfit ran out 3-0 winners in the final of the Division 3 League Cup at Bonnyrigg Juniors’ New Dundas Park.

Jack Friery pounced to stab home the opener in the first half before Robbie Menzies was brought down inside the Loanhead penalty box and Ross Jappy slotted home Longniddry’s second from the spot.

However, Menzies was subsequently shown a straight red card for antagonising the opposing team’s supporters after winning his side a penalty.

Nevertheless, the outcome was never in jeopardy and Euan Murdoch scored the goal of the game when he collected the ball just outside his own penalty area and ran deep 
inside Loanhead territory, evading a number of challenges, before coolly slotting the ball into the back of the net for number three.

The game had been temporarily brought to a halt during the first half after Loanhead player Stuart Rae was taken to hospital with an ankle injury.