Betfred Cup round-up: Falkirk and St Mirren record 4-1 wins

Falkirk and St Mirren put down an early marker ahead of the Ladbrokes Championship season with comfortable victories in the end. Elsewhere, League Two Peterhead beat League One East Fife and Cowdenbeath emerged victorious over Buckie Thistle in a game which featured six goals.

St Mirren's Gregor Buchanan heads into the net. Picture: SNS/Ross Parker
St Mirren's Gregor Buchanan heads into the net. Picture: SNS/Ross Parker

Read More

Read More
Hibs 4 - 0 Montrose: Double from Simon Murray puts Hibs at ease

In Group A, Falkirk brushed aside Stirling Albion 4-1. Nathan Austin, who had looked lively from the kick-off, broke the deadlock after 24 minutes with a simple finish from Rory Loy’s cross. Joe McKee doubled Falkirk’s advantage and new signing Alex Harris added a third before half-time, from McKee’s pass.

Aaron Muirhead scored Falkirk’s fourth from the penalty spot early in the second half. Lee Miller hit the underside of the crossbar as Falkirk continued to dominate. Darren Smith pulled back a late consolation for Stirling with a low shot.

St Mirren enjoyed a comfortable 4-1 win over Stranraer at Stair Park in Group H.

Stranraer went in front after 11 minutes when Scott Agnew netted against his former club. Gavin Reilly equalised after 27 minutes after Lewis Morgan’s shot had come back off the post.

New signing Ross Stewart put St Mirren in front shortly afterwards after a mix-up in the Stranraer defence. Morgan scored St Mirren’s third with the aid of a deflection five minutes from the break.

Gregor Buchanan headed the fourth from an Ian McShane corner at the start of the second half.

Morton had a narrow 1-0 win over Berwick Rangers in Group F. Michael Tidser scored the only goal with a deflected shot off home defender Oliver Fleming 12 minutes from half-time.

In Group B, Peterhead edged East Fife 1-0. Rory McAllister opened his season by netting Peterhead’s first competitive goal to give them victory. Cowdenbeath beat Buckie Thistle 4-2 in Group C.

The Highland League champions took the lead through Craig Dorrat but David Syme equalised for Cowdenbeath.

Cameron Muirhead produced a calm finish just before the break when he rounded the goalkeeper to put Cowdenbeath in front.

Drew Copeland equalised for Buckie early in the second half but Syme scored his second to give the home side the lead again and Ryan Connelly completed the scoring.

Clyde beat Annan Athletic 2-1 in Group E. Jack Breslin broke the deadlock for Clyde with a header after 57 minutes and David Goodwillie scored the second late on before Steven Swinglehurst pulled a goal back.