League One roundup: Five-goal Ayr crush Cowdenbeath

Joe Cardle. Picture: SNS
Joe Cardle. Picture: SNS
Have your say

Ayr United completed the first quarter of the season on top of the pile after overwhelming Cowdenbeath 5-0 at Somerset Park.

The home side made their intentions clear when Jordan Preston put them in front inside the first minute with his fourth goal of the campaign.

Cowdenbeath fell further behind when Alan Forrest’s effort went into the net off Brad Donaldson. Gerry McLauchlan put Ayr 3-0 in front two minutes after the break and, shortly afterward, Brian Gilmour netted the fourth. Craig Moore added a fifth to underline Ayr’s superiority.

Dunfermline kept within a point after seeing off a stubborn Albion Rovers 3-0 at East End Park. Joe Cardle, inset, opened the scoring just before half-time, clipping a right-foot shot into the net off the post. Rhys McCabe doubled Dunfermline’s advantage after 62 minutes with a speculative lob which beat goalkeeper Ross Stewart. Faissal El-Bakhtaoui put the game beyond doubt with his 15th goal of the season after 75 minutes, taking advantage of David Hopkirk’s cutback.

Albion’s Darren Young was sent off in the final minute after picking up his second yellow card.

Stranraer struck late to beat Airdrieonians 1-0. Airdrie were awarded a penalty shortly before half-time but David McGurn dived low to keep out Liam Watt’s spot-kick. Ryan Thomson netted what proved to be the winner with a powerful header with seven minutes left.

Peterhead and Forfar Athletic drew 2-2. Nicky Riley gave Peterhead a 28th-minute lead after Rory McAllister had set him up.

But Forfar equalised early in the second half when Tom O’Brien put in Gavin Swankie. Iain Campbell shot Forfar in front with a long-range strike with 20 minutes left, but substitute Leighton McIntosh equalised in the 78th minute.

Stenhousemuir had to rely on a last-minute strike from Carlos Mazana-Martinez to salvage a 2-2 draw against Brechin City.

Alan Cook collected his fourth goal of the season to put Stenhousemuir in front. Andy Jackson equalised with 19 minutes left, then David Weatherston gave them the lead before Mazana-Martinez levelled the scores.