Annan take over at top after win at Berwick but Shire slump to foot

Annan Athletic are the new League Two leaders after an excellent 2-0 victory over Berwick Rangers at Shielfield Park.

Annan move to the top of the table. Picture: Paul Murray
Annan move to the top of the table. Picture: Paul Murray

Rabin Omar struck Annan’s opener in the 13th minute with a sublime volley from Steven Sloan’s crossfield pass.

Graeme Beveridge then struck the post for Berwick before Smart Osadolor notched a decisive second for the Galabankies after a mix-up in the home defence.

Queen’s Park moved level on points with Elgin City in joint second place as the former beat the latter 3-1 at Hampden.

David Galt fired the Glasgow hosts into a 29th minute lead and, after Elgin’s Mark Nicolson was dismissed in the 50th minute, Jamie McKernon, pictured, doubled the home side’s advantage.

Bryan Wharton nearly added a third for Queen’s Park when his free-kick struck the Elgin woodwork.

Chris Dougan’s foolish sending off in the 67th minute restored parity in terms of personnel but, after Elgin’s Connor McLaren pulled one back for the visitors, a comical own goal by Elgin goalkeeper Mark Hurst gifted Queen’s Park the points.

Montrose sit third after holding on for a 2-1 victory over East Stirling, who slip to the foot of the table.

Graham Webster’s long-range strike handed Montrose an eighth-minute breakthrough and Gary Fraser soon added a second with a predatory finish.

Shire’s Max Wright halved the arrears in the 86th minute but a leveller proved elusive.

East Fife lie sixth on goal difference but are only a point off the pace following a hard-fought 1-0 success over Clyde at Bayview.

The in-form Nathan Austin teed up Kevin Smith for a well-worked winner for the Fifers in the 13th minute. Clyde ought to have levelled soon after but David Marsh headed wide with the goal at his mercy.

Arbroath climbed off the bottom of the table courtesy of a deserved 2-0 triumph against Stirling Albion at Gayfield.

Sergio Alvarez opened the scoring four minutes into the second half, after good work by Bobby Linn who two minutes later doubled Arbroath’s lead with a composed finish.