League Two roundup: Little’s error puts Annan on top

Peter Weatherson. Picture: SNS
Peter Weatherson. Picture: SNS
Have your say

Annan Athletic are the latest leaders of an ever-changing League Two table after a 2-0 victory at Arbroath.

The home side spurned an excellent opportunity when Bobby Linn’s fifth minute penalty was brilliantly saved by Annan goalkeeper Jordan Hart. Six minutes later, Annan opened the scoring courtesy of a volley by Peter Weatherson, pictured, following Arbroath’s failure to clear a corner. Annan doubled their advantage in the 23rd minute when Arbroath’s Ricky Little blundered by putting through his own net after a spell of Annan dominance.

Previous leaders East Fife slipped to second following a 1-1 draw with Stirling Albion at Bayview.

Nathan Austin nearly opened the scoring in the 28th minute, denied only by a fine Chris Smith save, but soon Austin got the better of the Stirling goalkeeper with a delicate lob in the 32nd minute after a Ross McGeachie error. The visitors responded when Willie Robertson levelled in composed fashion in the 63rd minute. Robertson’s day was slightly soured by a last minute dismissal for a second yellow card.

Third-placed Queen’s Park missed the chance to go top as they fell to a 1-0 loss at home to Montrose.

Chris Duggan struck the post for the Glasgow side in the 35th minute during a forgettable opening period. The winning goal arrived in the 50th minute as Scott Johnston teed up the dependable Graham Webster for a simple finish.

The prominent Duggan tested the reflexes of Montrose goalkeeper Jordan Millar with a rasping shot in the final minute but the Angus visitors held on.

Elgin City and Clyde played out a relatively entertaining 1-1 draw at Borough Briggs.

Darryl McHardy headed the Moray hosts into a 13th minute lead from a Daniel Moore cross. However, Barry Ferguson’s Clyde equalised within 15 minutes when veteran defender Marvin Andrews headed home a Chris Mitchell cross.

Berwick Rangers ran out 2-1 winners against bottom side East Stirlingshire. Nathan Shepherd scrambled Shire into a 15th minute breakthrough but, after Blair Henderson headed Berwick level two minutes after the break, Darren Lavery’s header soon after sealed the points.