11 arrested as Hibs vow to co-operate with Cup Final probe

POLICE have confirmed that 11 arrests for minor offences were made following yesterday's chaotic scenes in the aftermath of Hibernian's historic Scottish Cup victory over Rangers.

A Hibs fan talks to an officer as a police cordon forms on the Hampden pitch. Picture: Lynne Cameron/SportImage/PA Images

The Easter Road side have vowed to co-operate with investigations into the crowd trouble which marred their first Scottish Cup triumph for 114 years.

Several Rangers players were reportedly assaulted as thousands of Hibernian fans ran on to the Hampden pitch following their dramatic 3-2 triumph.

Sign up to our Football newsletter

Sign up to our Football newsletter

Footage appeared to show Lee Wallace being punched and goalkeeper Wes Foderingham attacked as the celebratory pitch invasion turned ugly.

Police and stewards restrain a fan following the match. Picture: SNS Group

Dozens of Rangers fans also came on to the pitch and fights broke out between rival supporters, while Hibs fans broke one of the goalposts and ripped up sections of the Hampden turf.

Hibs chairman Rod Petrie, who is the vice-president of the Scottish Football Association, put the scenes down to “over-exuberance” in the immediate aftermath and described them as “unacceptable”.

A club statement later confirmed Hibs would “co-operate fully into any inquiry into the pitch invasion which followed the club’s historic Scottish Cup win at Hampden Park”.

It added: “The club reiterates its regret at the events which unfolded immediately following the final whistle.

Hibernian fans rushed the pitch as they celebrated their side's historic win. Picture: SNS Group

“Hibernian always seeks to maintain high standards, and we will work with the authorities to identify any supporter who may have taken part in any form of unacceptable behaviour which has tarnished the club’s reputation.

“Hibernian will work with Police Scotland, Hampden Park Stadium management, the Scottish FA, Rangers FC and any other relevant parties to bring those responsible to book.”

Rangers players were handed their medals in the dressing room, while Hibs players had a long wait to lift the trophy after the pitch was cleared, and the lap of honour had to be cancelled.

Police and stewards restrain a fan following the match. Picture: SNS Group

The SFA, along with Police Scotland and stadium managers, have launched an investigation into the chaos, while the Scottish Government is ‘liasing closely’ with the inquiry.

Rangers said they were shocked at the “disgraceful” behaviour of Hibs fans and left the stadium without giving any interviews.

A club statement read: “Rangers players and staff were assaulted by these fans who invaded the pitch and in the interests of their safety could not return to the pitch for the medal presentation.

Hibernian fans rushed the pitch as they celebrated their side's historic win. Picture: SNS Group

“The club would like to commend Rangers fans for the restraint they showed under severe provocation.”

Hibs players were oblivious to the violent scenes as they were caught up in the adulation of fans.

Liam Henderson, who set up two goals, said: “I couldn’t tell you what was happening. I was getting hugged by all sorts.

“These things happen, cup finals, you see it happen down south when fans run on to the pitch.

“It was a bit emotional. When we scored the winner my wee brother was right there in the stand so I was hugging him.

“After the game I went straight to my mum and dad. It was a great feeling. I’m an extremely proud person and I’m extremely proud of my team-mates.”

Midfielder Fraser Fyvie added: “It was obviously disappointing the fans ran on, but you can’t really stop them.

“They got a bit over-excited, but you can’t really blame them because they have waited a while for a trophy.

“It’s great to be part of it. I have never experienced a pitch invasion and it was fantastic. I’m just glad we got out in the end and lifted the cup - what a feeling.”